Options

Florida Keys Spring holiday

terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
I couldn't get my 270 in the suitcase so I did the next best thing. You can't go to the Keys without renting a boat so I contacted Bump & Jump in Islamorada despite their bad refs. We found them very good.  Here are a few photos from a fab time.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee, wonder what its like to live there  :)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
     Great photos!  thanks for sharing!  & love the Rinker shirt as well! ;)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a girl in our office wanted to go to key west this last weekend and the cheapest hotel was 400 bucks a night.....guess I won't be going there anytime soon but would love to!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,458 admin
    I went to Key West for New Years Eve and had a blast. Great place to go. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    See any boats anchored out for the night Ray? Imagine your 342 there...... OOhhhh 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,458 admin
    I could not afford to live there. No subway system to fix......LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people live there on boats anchored out a few hundred feet off the shore.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    watch the mad dash when a hurricane comes along.....clears out the old derelict boats I'm sure!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... Rasbury, and that's why I like to live on the gulf coast. St Pete's or Sarasota, are pretty good spots and somewhat secluded from hurricanes. It would take a lot for a hurricane to enter the mouth of the gulf and swing east towards St. Pete's. They've had some pretty good storms, but it's been a while since a serious hurricane has hit.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    **** Gorda, Port Charlotte and Ft Myers are good too Mark
  • Options
  • Options
    Mark- were you around in 04 when 3 hurricanes came through? Upper Captiva was 3 ft under water! The problems with hurricanes is not the wind, it's the storm surge and I do not want to live on either coast, as much as I like to be on the water...Tampa was predicted to have as much as a 20' storm surge before the storm swung another way.....and Katrina skirted right up the west coast of FL before it hit New Orleans- could just have easily come up through Tampa bay and wiped out that area....
  • Options
    Rasbury I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it is in a fairly good spot and a hurricane would have to turn pretty hard to hit it. 

I agree the storm surge is brutal. But that's the chance we take to live close to paradise.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I just wish our tax dollars would stop bailing people out that make that choice (sorry, don't mean to bring up a huge debate). 

• Options
    tell me about it dream...part of the insurance I have to pay goes into the fund to insure everyone living on the coast that can't get traditional insurance-a lot of these homes are not "homestead" but some rich guys condo or mega house on the coast, but that's the politics!
  • Options
    and hurricanes don't have to turn pretty hard to hit anything-they are going to go what ever direction they want to go-it's a total crap shoot as to where it goes. They do a great job these days figuring out where but to say it would be hard for any particular place to get hit or not just does not pass muster!
  • Options
    Flood insurance is cheap
  • Options
    and since it's so cheap, why does the gov't have to come in with tons of money (our money) and pay to rebuild everything??  If they just stop, then people would either get insurance or move somewhere that won't get flooded!!

Again, sorry I didn't mean to take this topic of beautiful pictures in Key west over.  & man, those are some great pictures!!

• Options
    Good Question. Start another thread or I will erase your comments!
  • Options
    Dream, and that would cause most of the US coastline states to go out of business with the first flood that occurs. Then you would have bigger problems on your hands supporting the millions more that would be unemployed and broke.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark, we already do that! 50 mil plus. The tidal surge only goes so far and may be absorbed by the numerous canals
  • Options
    Handy ... I said millions MORE (than now).

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    We have made on own bed so to speak and now we have to sleep there...I just need to figure out how to get in on it.  
  • Options
    and there is just beautiful boating from Miami/Key Biscayne all the way through the keys. I have done SW Florida in Tiki territory and look forward with my bigger boat hopefully getting over to that area.......I'd say better than the Bahamas. All the way from the 10000 islands area of SW Fl all through the keys- more to see than I could see if I hit the lottery this weekend and all I had to do was travel.