Options

Engine hatch won't open.

Hi I have a 280 express and the engine hatch won't open. Is there anything obvious I can check, and is there a manual way to open the hatch?

Answers

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    It may have a circuit breaker for the hatch on the dash.  If due to a dead battery you can connect a battery to the 2 posts marked "hatch override" if so equipped behind the door in your cockpit where the battery selector switch is located?  I don't know if they can be lifted manually!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The HATCH can be lifted manually. You have to remove the table post mount and reach in to the left and pull a pin. That will disconnect the hydraulic arm so you can lift the HATCH yourself. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    If it will not go with the override, the motor is probably the issue. I've had mine where the bushings in it just don't make contact.  A couple hammer taps and she's been good since about a year ago when it happened.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    QuarterLifeCrisisQuarterLifeCrisis Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Table post mount does not apply to a FV270 as its to far away.  The arm has a small sleeve with a bolt on it and about 3inches of play I leave mine loose to allow me to rock the hatch back just enuff to get in to pull the pin.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I like your suggestion QLC. On my 360 the table mount is screwed on with real big screws and sealed with what feels like 5200 and then covered-up underneath with glued on sound deadening heat shield material. I would be a real bit*h to remove. Your idea sounds like a great work-around.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I've done is put the pin on the left side of the piston. It points starboard, and is located right next to a storage compartment under my aft seat. I haven't done it yet, but I have a 4" plug cap. So if I cut a 4" hole in the compartment floor I can reach in and pull the pin easily.  Then just use the floor plug cap to seal the hole. If you want to get really fancy, you could even glue on the heat shield material to the bottom of the cap.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Since I never use the cockpit table, I replaced my table mount with a round threaded deck hatch. Now I can easily reach the ram pin, and as a bonus in the event of an inoperative ram and an engine fire (I tend to imagine bad stuff) I can discharge a fire extinguisher through the small deck hatch without lifting the entire engine hatch.

Andy
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great Idea. Thanks Mark! Like mark and QLC have suggested - now - is the time to do this before we have a fail!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    The extra 3 in mentioned is actually for that purpose (at least I was told). I can get to mine thru blower hole in rear hatch. Yes, I've done it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express