2002 342 FV dockside water system

Does anyone know what the dockside water feeds while hooked up vs what comes from water tank 100%, ie: ice maker, sinks, shower main reason trying to figure out how it works and to see where the Ice Maker gets its water from.
If You Are Not The Lead Dog The View Never Changes.

Answers

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, its all connected
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dockside water feeds everything on the boat. I use it when I am at the dock so I don't have to hear the pump running.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • CrewLoungeCrewLounge Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    If dockside pressure remains greater than the low pressure trip on your pump, pump will not run and no water will be used from tank
  • l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    Is there a built in water pressure regulator on the boat? The water pressure on the dock is really high and have never used it for fear of blowing water lines off on the boat.

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Len the shore water hook up is a regulator. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++ to Raybo. This is always why you shut off the city water at the dock when you are not there. I personally saw a new 40' sailboat hanging by the dock lines from filling up with water from this. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shore water ties in just ahead of your galley pump. It does not enter the tank, it just pressurizes all the lines at city pressure. If the system is not in use it will see full city water pressure. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I always shut off my shore water when I leave the boat. I once filled my bilge up because my hot water heater started leaking. I looked at my boat and said to myself, self why is my swim platform almost in the water....lol BTW I also found out my float switch was not working.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the pump noise is not liked, but I probably 99% of the time use the pump from my tank and not the city water.  Keeps my fresh water tank potable / drinkable.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We are in and out too much to use the city water in our marina.  But I do use it when we travel.  I flush and fill my fresh water tank nearly every week, and I treat it when I re-fill it.  We only use the water (tank or city) for showers, cleaning, etc.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• DanaParshallDanaParshall Member Posts: 12
    Stodge - what is the easiest method to flush the water tank?
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I do the brute force method, turn on the faucets.  If the water has been a little funky I put a cup of bleach in the tank first.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I run water thru my tank every weekend and always use my pump.  I put in each weekend what I think I will use and empty out what I don't use.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    i just wanted to share something that I did a few weeks ago on the dockside water subject.  I have always been very disappointed at the water pressure on my boat, taking a shower felt more like a trickle than a shower.  So a sea ray friend of mine was having some strange water pressure issues, and to confirm the problem, we bypassed his shore water hookup/regulator.  His problem went away, and he had awesome water pressure.  So he took the guts out of his regulator and put it back together and now he has great pressure.  So I figured I would do the same.  Mine took a little more work, but I was able to remove the guts and seal it back up and put it back into place.  Water pressure is awesome, showering is awesome.  Just like being at home.  Now I know some of you will say that it is not safe, but we always disconnect the shore water when not at the boat, and we have had this done for about 3 weeks now without any issues.  We spend a lot of time at the boat, and this simple mod makes showering on the boat, so much more enjoyable. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep in mind, water pressure can vary from marina to marina.  It's really high at my marina, which is one reason I don't use it.  Be careful when you travel.  In the meantime, enjoy!