Gas dock tipping

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
At our marina the gas dock attendants help tie you up then bring you the gas nozzle.  We have to do the gas pumping.  Similar with the pump-out.  They bring it to us.  

So I'm curious, how much do you consider customary for a tip to the attendant?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Dan4754Dan4754 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    An attendent?
    IF someone filled my boat it'd be worth 5 bucks.
    Unfortunately,  our marina is self serve.

• WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    They pump out, I tip.  Cute girl, I tip.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    At our gas docks they only help in docking. Pumping is on you. I assume it's a liability issue. I usually give them couple - five bucks if they are helpful. 
  • blutobluto Member Posts: 25 ✭✭

At our marina, the fuel dock kid does everything but run the fuel nozzle (he'll pull it from the reel and hand it to you and stop the pump at the requested amount). He also handles lines and give you a shove-off when leaving. I tip $5 to $10, depending  on my mood and how much cash I have (I pay for fuel with a card, I tip in cash). My marina charges $10 for a pump-out, but you do nothing, the fuel dock kid does everything-- I tip $10 at pump-out.

• JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I tip on helpfulness 5 pumping the head 10. No help no tip. Will tip more if they earned it. 
  • gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    $5 each gas/pumpout.  $10 both.  If someone is really exceptional, at the end of the year before they go back to school, we drop them $50 or $100 in an envelope on the side for their school expenses and fun.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They fill up, pump out and help with docking. I normally give them $5. Sometimes we get a clueless kid that doesn't help with docking. I think twice about the tip, but then make it obvious I want his help docking (horn works well) and still give him $5. Lol. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Dan4754Dan4754 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I envy those of you that have some service available.
    Maybe they'll man the dock this summer in our marina.

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to tip well. They get paid crummy wages usually. Fuel and pump out $20 tip. Small % when buying 100 gal or more of gas. lol. Cute girl always a bonus. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Our dock is full service.  I usually tip $10 on a routine gas purchase (100 gallons).

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• SpeedracerSpeedracer Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    agree $5 - $10 for gas depending on service
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Do you tip those who launch your boat in the spring with travel lift?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, you guys are generous!
    Do you not MT?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Having read this it makes me wonder if I should be tipping here in the UK. Our marina is fully serviced. They do everything from helping you dock to putting the pump in and filling it and even give a gentle push off at the end! I've never tipped and have never noticed anyone tip. Any other uk boaters tip???
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Do you tip those who launch your boat in the spring with travel lift?

No way.  They have enough of my money for storage all winter, service, etc...  When its a pure service industry and the worker is making dirt in wages, I think then it justifies a tip.  If it were the marina owner at the gas dock I probably wouldn't tip him if I thought it was going to his pocket and not the other attendants. 
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    $5 -$20 depending on how nice they are an how much the help. Their is a marina close by and convenient but owner is a **** and always is at pump he lives there most people won't go there . His pump out machine sucks and he always thinks you need to buy 100 gallons of gas ! NEVER TIP THAT GUY! But it is convenient sometimes.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "....his pump out machine sucks....", well @belle-vita , I think you WANT his pump-out machine to suck as the alternative would - suck! LOL
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 bucks if the pump out.its worth the poop
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I was waiting for that Michael lol.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
    My Marina and yard are two different companies on same land.  Yard hauled out boat and out in marina property so I didn't pay yard storage fees. Since my Marina doesn't do seasonal I just keep it on their land.  Yard has a horrible rep but the guys that hauled and launched are cool to me and did things safe and efficient.  Don't give them more money than the haul and launch.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gas, guy allways is nice, hands you the hose, you pull trigger, I give him $2-5 the poop pump  has not worked in 2 years, 
    Boat Name : 

• sixpacksummersixpacksummer Member Posts: 43
    Our marina is self serve, no tipping. Can't tip for pumpout as it is done during the week at our slip.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Having read this it makes me wonder if I should be tipping here in the UK. Our marina is fully serviced. They do everything from helping you dock to putting the pump in and filling it and even give a gentle push off at the end! I've never tipped and have never noticed anyone tip. Any other uk boaters tip???
    Tipping in Europe is generally not done in restaurants, versus here where that's where it's most common.  I'd check with other folks in your marina or who use the same gas dock and ask them.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

edited April 2016
    I've mentioned before about we tip the traditional $5 each for gas and pumpout.  Usually a gift tip at the end of summer for their schooling.  The yard guys will not accept tips from us, even if they happen to be on the gas dock when we come in.  What we do is usually buy them lunch once or twice a year, sometimes have a day where we invite them over to the dock for hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, and for people who go out of their way to help us out with something, a 12 or 24 pack of beer mysteriously appears on the seat of the forklift, toolbox, or wherever I can sneak it without being seen.  Fun hobby of mine.  They always know it is me, but it fun to see if I can get away with surprising them.  They are also invited to use the dining set on our dock for lunch whenever we are not there.  You couldn't tell if they ever use it, for they return it all to same condition when they leave.  They also will come over for a couple end of shift drinks with us at the end of the day.  In return, these guys do 'special' things for us, like store our dock carpet upstairs for us for free, or accidentally do free bottom wash for us when not ordered, or whatever. Just a good group of guys who don't make what I do, so small gifts can go a long way.  I just found out that instead of outside shrink-wrapped storage this winter, mine was squeezed into nice warm storage without the front desk knowing....(or billing).  Good guys.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
    I really like your style gslpro.  You must be business minded.  To get what you want sometimes you gotta give a little.  I was thinking about doing the 12/24 pack thing but wasnt sure if that was appropriate.  I dont have the rapport that you have with your staff.  Helped persuade me in a good direction.  Thank you.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    glspro, it is amazing what a small gesture of appreciation will do.  The beer thing, I do that near xmas time with the trash.  I'll leave a 12-pack on top of the trash can.  I've watched them pick it up and sure seems to make their day.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

It is funny.  I do these things for them because I like them, and want to make sure they know they are appreciated.  The fact that such a wonderful rapport has established is only a bonus. 

One of my patients showed up at work with a gift bag and handed it to me.  I said I really couldn't, and they just hugged me and walked away.  Inside was a note of appreciation for all that I did for them, a gift card to a restaurant, and a bottle of my favorite whiskey.  The fact that they remembered the type of whiskey I drink, that I must have mentioned at some point in our many conversations meant more than the world to me.  Just paying the feeling forward feels so awesome.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    $5 - $10 depends on the attitude and friendliness of the dock hand. Some of those kids are completely useless but they are just kids, so be nice. Hot young ladies in halter tops get a little extra however

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    My dilemma had been sooo many helpers at our old dock. Almost always 2 and sometimes 3 or more. I try to hand the senior dock hand enough $1 bills that they get at least $3-4 a person. We only bought the minimum $20 in fuel for free pump out. Slip fee was $7210/year and pump out should have been included IMO. We also tipped everyone at Christmas.  -Paul