Options

Survey findings

Hey everyone.  I just had a survey done on a 342 (still waiting on final report and oil analysis).  Everything went really well and the only major thing I saw was that the GPS/Chartplotter wasn't working.  Apparently the owner just uses his ipad and a navionics app.  I will have to move it by water about 200 miles (down the Chesapeake and up the potomac). I'd be ok doing the same thing, but for my wife's peace of mind and my sanity I'd rather have something.  I'm going to ask the seller to either fix it, replace it, or give a credit.  What does everyone feel is "fair" if he goes the credit option?

Appreciate the feedback!
Rob
Y Knot?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it original? I wouldn't squabble over a few hundred bucks. Heck it will cost you more to fill up when you get to Aquia Harbor!
  • Options
    Dan4754Dan4754 Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I'd wait until you have the completed survey in your hands to make sure you want to go forward with the purchase before you broach the subject of a credit.
    If you are happy with the overall condition and there are not many negatives then I'd suggest a credit from the seller and let him offer the value.
    Remember, you are buying used and the seller knows it.
    The GPS is an accessory that can be easily replaced and is not critical to the mechanical operation of the boat

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get a 5" GPS for $400 or so. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Chances are that the GPS failure is due to a bad antenna. Easy fix and only less than $200.

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    holscher2438holscher2438 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Got the full survey back (minus the oil analysis).  A lot of the findings seem to be routine maintenance items ( impellers, oil change, spark plugs, anodes, filters, etc).  My big concerns are the fire suppression system needs to be checked, all windows/port lights need to be re-caulked, and the non-working GPS.  Guess its time to see what the seller is willing to take care of then make a decision.  Thanks for everyone's input.
    Y Knot?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the GPS is old, you'll want to replace if anyhow. There's been huge improvements in technology the last 3 or 4 years. Maps will also be way better. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My GPS is circa 2007 and I am ready for an upgrade. I can't justify it due to the fact that we just boat on the same 3 rivers. The only thing that we occasionally do is lock thru to the next pool of water.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't sweat the little stuff.....
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I use INAVX on my ipad and I love it. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I used Navionics app from Kent Narrows to Colonial Beach with zero problems.  Referred to it way more than my small & outdated GPS that came with the boat.  Now you can upgrade to something fun and new.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270