Options

Breakers

Chuck4104Chuck4104 Member Posts: 5
Hello, I just purchased a 2012, 276 with a 8.2 bravo3, with only 36 hours on it. The battery went dead over night, and did so each night until I figured it out to be the mercathode, which is now disconnected. At this point, I'm not sure if it's a ground or controller issue. Anyway, I had to plug in a battery charger to get the hatch open so I could get to the battery. I had to do this several times before I figured out the problem was the mercathode. But now, the radio, GPS, horn and other items do not work, the breakers seem to be all set. I wondering if they got fried by hooking up the charger several times? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Do you store the boat in the water?  If so, find a way to leave the Mercathode system turned on, or you WILL regret it.  Install a battery charger and leave it hooked up to shore power.  

But, to your question ... I doubt you fried anything.  There are breakers at the battery switch, at the helm and at the shore power panel (if you have one).  Have you checked all of them?  

Congrats on your purchase!
  • Options

No shore power that I can find. There are breakers at the battery switch, all seem to be good, but I will reset them.

The radio turns on at the main panel, but the remotes do not work and there is no sound. The GPS turns on very dim and says it is setting up, then turns off. The horn and running lights do not work at all. All of these items worked until the issue with the Mercathode and using the battery charger.

Why will I regret not leaving the Mercathode off?

Thanks

Chuck

• Options
    Sorry, regret leaving the Mercathode off.
  • Options
    Sounds like a low voltage issue.  Have you tried cleaning and tightening the battery cables?  While you're in there, top off the batteries with distilled water.  

With a Bravo 3 stored in the water, it's all about protecting the aluminum from corrosion.  You'll end up with expensive corrosion problems if you don't run the Mercathode system 24x7.  Also, make sure you have the right type of anodes, and plan on changing them every year.  If you're in salt water, you probably want aluminum anodes.  In fresh water, probably magnesium.  
  • Options
    Here's a good overview of the Mercathode system:
    http://www.sterndrives.com/mercathode.html 
  • Options

I will check the cables.

The boat has no shore power hook up, I also don't have shore power. **** do other people deal with this issue? I called Mercruiser and they said it should not drain my batteries, yet all my research and comments by other people say otherwise. Very frustrated!

Thanks

• Options
    So no AC power available at the slip?  Maybe you could use a solar charger that plugs into the 12V receptacle.  Here's a good article to read:

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/installing-solar-panel.asp

A 5-Watt panel is enough to keep a battery topped off and not much else.  I'd think 10 Watts would cover the battery plus Mercathode.  For example:

http://www.batterytender.com/Solar/
  • Options
    Looks like I may have to get one of these. Thank again!