Options

Gas tank float wont.....

IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭

03 FV 310 port gauge reads E and figured sender so got a new one. Bent myself in the engine bay and tested wiring to ground lug and up to F so in goes sender. Still E with 1/2 tank, undo screws and lift it up and the arm is straight down. I move the arm easily with finger and no binding and gauge moves. It seems like the float just doesn't, well, float.  Took it out and tried in a tub and it does.  After many attempts I gave it away, the other works well and I keep them both the same.  But new season and it bugs me. Any ideas?

Ian

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Save yourself the frustration, and just get a new one.  I highly rec the kind that float vertically up the pole instead of swing... Less problematic and less wild swings depending on attitude. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    It i a new one albeit the arm. If i get a vertical how do I know that will float too? Any you can recommend?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    the swinging arm is likely hitting an obstruction, else it should float at least 'some'...  image

the vertical float does just that, it slides up the post of the sender unit. 

no, I don't have any to rec, but being armed with this, and measuring the depth of your tanks should arm you with enough information to shop around. this thing doesn't have to be boat specific- which is to say check out places like northerntool or tractor supply... you'll need to match ohms, but it's most likely a standard instead of a goofy one, so a universal will work... the five screw plate atop it can only go on one way (as I'm sure you know after replacing the sender and removing the thing a couple times), so a cork gasket is far superior to any other type (reusable).
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    edited May 2015
    I actually have two of the swinging arm ones at home new in box.  If you lived closer, I'd sell you one cheap.  Not sure if it's worth it with shipping cost.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express