Options

AC / fan

NomadicOneNomadicOne Member Posts: 10
New to the forum - 342 Fiesta Vee. When I'm at the dock and on shore power the AC and fan runs quietly. When I'm out and running the generator, the fan is noisy. Both when it's just the fan running and when the AC runs. Has anyone experienced the same thing happening? I'm wondering whether it's an electrical load issue. Might it have something to do with the house batteries getting on a bit or do they not come into play at all when the generator runs?

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Never seen that, but I doubt the batteries could have anything to do with it.  Can you describe the noise?  Crank up the genny and check the voltage meters on the distribution panel; is it putting out 120 Volts?  

Welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Genny could have a voltage problem. Like LaRea said check with a voltage meter. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    NomadicOneNomadicOne Member Posts: 10
    The noise sounds like it's the fan blades touching something. Not deafening but enough to drive you nuts. Checked and the generator does put out 120 volts. OK so here is what I did. Out on the water started the generator. AC is off. Started the fan only. Quiet and it stayed that way. Then started the AC and it was quiet. Switched all off. Started generator with the AC already on. Noise is back. Switched it all off and did what I did the first time. All quiet. The world seems to be at peace now - I will just follow the sequence.....
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Very Strange.........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    BJTBJT Member Posts: 4

Is this what every Rinker owner has to do with the fans that are installed in Rinkers!!

We just discovered the very noisy fan in our brand new 2018 270 EX when we were trying to sleep at night. It was so loud we opted to be chilly rather than put the heat on!!

I would not expect this in a brand new boat. Sure hope we were doing something wrong as I would hate to think we have no choice but to put up with this fan.

Anyone else in this situation? Thanks.

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The fans are not installed by Rinker.  They are integrated into the A/C unit.  

The only thing I can think of with the different behavior is a difference in fan speed due to different voltage from the genny versus shore power which raybo already mentioned.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the 342 there is a metal damper plate inside the main supply register to direct air to the bathroom vent. That made a ticking/scraping noise sometimes on my boat until I secured it. Check that by removing the grill. Also, the motor can have a bearing going bad and that can make noise sometimes