stearing very hard to turn.

Hello everyone,
Just got back to boat. I tried filling  both  power steering pumps as  suggested.
no change.
Told mechanic to put new pump in.  He put new pump and belts in.
Started engine and no difference, still difficult to turn,
pump makes no noise when you turn completely starboard or port.
Mechanic said I told you so.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Marty

Best Answers

Answers

• georgec14georgec14 Member Posts: 16
    only the stdb engine runs  the steering. the port pump does nothing. check the stbd pump again. good luck .
  • martinwielgusmartinwielgus Member Posts: 5
    a new pump was just installed starboard engine. no change, still hard to turn.
  • EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I have hard steering on my Captieva 262 with Bravo 3.  It's stiff, not smooth, and if turned all the way to one lock or the other sometimes feels like its stuck and doesn't want to turn back.  My mechanic consulted Mercruiser and was told its a bad regulator.
  • Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I had to replace the steering cables on my 2004 Captiva 232 because of very hard steering. It felt like there was no power steering. If you have cable controlled power steering like 212 mentioned above, I would try removing pins from the cables at the steering lever on drive and try turning steering wheel. The cable liners get destroyed by a failing pump, steering cylinder, etc. as there is no way to lube them correctly. They also just wear out.

After you get a steering pump or cylinder fixed it still could be bad cables from the increased effort needed to steer which will wreck the cable liner. I would start with cables to see if they are free before looking at pump or cylinder. Wish I would have done that as I could have replaced the cables myself.