Options

How to leave the boat?

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
Good Morning,

We just took delivery of an 04 342. We were supposed to have a captain join us for the 8 hour journey to our home port however weather in the Atlantic is not cooperating. 

Can someone tell me what all steps I need to take to button up the boat before I leave for the week? I am in a slip with power and water.

Sorry for the rookie question but I am concerned about seacocks, how to leave the a/c etc...

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure the city water is turned off at the dock. 

Leave your AC power on and your battery charger on. The Mercathode system will drain your batteries and leave your drives exposed to corrosion. 

I personally leave my A/C on. Other than that, close up all your hatches. 

If you have stuff in your frigs, leave them powered on too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

Personally, I wouldn't leave the hose connected at all to the boat (they can sink a boat if turned on).  As far as switches, I only leave all battery chargers, fridges/ice maker.  All DC switches should be off (toilet and fresh water).  You should be plugged into shorepower, so the main power switches would be on.

Seacocks, well, most people leave them open.  I keep my boat on a lift, so not as much concern (I do close A/C seacock so I don't lose prime).

Make sure your bilge pumps will kick on both manually and with the float switch.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Thank you for the info.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Right before I walk away, I always do a quick visual double-check of my dock lines and power cord.  For me, the memory tool is "six lines, two fenders, one power."  I do it every time without exception, and it has helped me avoid mistakes a few times.  

In the cockpit, make sure your VHF radio is off and all windows are zipped (or the cockpit cover, if you're using that instead of the camper canvas).