Options

Is the 5.0L a good fit for a 2005 320?

HedgeHedge Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
When I bought my 2005 Rinker 270 new I went for the optional Volvo 5.7L with the optional 320 HP which I have never regretted having the extra horsepower. Now I am looking at going to a bigger boat and will be looking at three 2005 320's and all are powered with 5.0L 260 HP Mercs.  I realize this is  the standard engines for that boat but are they adequate or will I find out they are underpowered and wish I had waited to find a 320 with an optional more HP Engines?

Comments

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    we have a 310 with the 5.0L merc/BIII engines.  I think they are plenty for that boat, and I came from a 55mph boat with a 496mag.  it isn't a speed boat, but I can pull the kids on tube and knee boards, with 10 people on board.  top speed is just short of 40 mph, but cruises comfortably bw 28-32 mph.  it gets on plane with no issues for a 13K lb boat. This is the same boat as the 320, so I would expect similar results.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What drives are on the 3 that you are looking at?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    HedgeHedge Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply guys ..... one has a Bravo 2 and the other two have Bravo 3
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Hedge-I have a 2005 320 and love it. I have no problems getting on plane with full tanks and 10 people on board. I use the tabs all the way down when getting on plane and it just pops on plane with no bow rise. Great boat when just planning along at 3200 rpm. Good Luck. I have twin 5.0 mpi with bravo 3 outdrives.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I agree with others.  My prior boat was a 310 with 5.0 MPI and B-3 drives.  Never an issue getting on plane, great boat!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    Hi Hedge, I have a 2009 320 with 350 Mags and B2 drives. I can't comment on the performance of the 320 with the 5.0 Liter package but I just wanted to let you know that I've been very happy with my B2 drives. The boat accelerates well and handles great at low speeds and while docking. I think that the B3's are probably more commonly used but the B2's have work well for me.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I should add that my current 400 has the B-2 drives and I am very happy with them.  I will say that I am pushing a lot of weight for a prop that has a hub, but now that I have brand new props I'm hoping to be good for a long while (especially since I also have new spares, Murphy's law says I have them, so I won't need them).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express