Options

Jabsco Marine Toilet Problem

My Jabsco electric toilet does not always empty.  Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.  When it doesn't empty, if you wait for a while eventually water can be heard for a second (sounds like it is filling the discharge impeller chamber), then it will empty.  Motor is running fine, just installed impeller kit (including joker valve), and verified vent is clear.  Is it possible that the large discharge hose running to the waste tank is partially clogged?  If so, how could a clog go through the chopper and joker valve?  This is a 16 year old boat.   

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    After 16 years, yes your discharge hose could be clogged.  Best bet is to try to run some vinegar in there and let is sit.  You may have to go thru the ugly process of replacing that hose (but I'd try other options first - even disconnect and remove joker then run a snake thru it).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    boataholicboataholic Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input.  I tried the vinegar and snake this weekend.  I let the vinegar sit for about 8 hours but could not get a snake to go all of the way through the hose.  Any thoughts, words of wisdom, or tricks to aid in the replacement?  From doing a little research it looks as though Trident 101 hose may be a reasonable replacement.  What do you think?
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a friend who had to dig out some "female hygiene" products from the waste system.  I don't think you want those to reach the tank.  Not sure the pump-out could remove them.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    well, can you get to the hose at the tank end?  maybe try clearing it from that end as well.  As far as replacement, maybe you can use the old hose to pull the new one thru.  Trident should be a viable replacement.  Is the end of the snake rounded enough to not get stuck on the hose itself?  I can see replacing the hose when it starts to permeate, but for a clog I'd sure keep trying something before replacing.  (sorry, I know it's easier on my end to say that than be on your end).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I tried snaking from both ends.  On each side I could get the snake to go  about 10 feet into a 12 foot hose.  The snake does have a rounded end and I jammed at that stupid thing for about 30 minutes on each side. I had both ends of the hose disconnected so I could see if it even came through.  (not my idea of having fun on an otherwise beautiful river day!)
  • Options
    The confusing part to me is that I can stick the snake in a long ways from both ends before it stops.  How can it be hitting a clog?  There is also a lot of pressure on the hose when I disconnect it at the joker valve.