Options

Rebuilt VS New Bravo III

So I took my drive off beginning of the year due to leaking drive oil and just thought it needed re-sealed. I received a call from the shop yesterday and the shop says I need a new drive. The cost to repair is more than purchasing new. So I took it to another shop and same answer.  Question i have is rebuilt drive or new? The cheapest place I can buy a rebuilt is DougRussell.com for $4,500 and new for $5,700. Both rebuilt and new drives come with a year warranty.  Does anyone have any suggestions on which way to go or a cheaper place to purchase?  Also has anyone purchased anything from this company before? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shop around. Black_Diamond knows a better company. Might want to PM him
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were me, I would go with the new drive. If I purchased a rebuilt one, I would make sure it was a 2004 or newer case because of the extra anodes. Pre2004 cases only have 1 anode on the cavitation plate. 2004+ have 2 on the plate and the anode on the driveshaft.

Can you get away with a lower half of the drive? Usually that is where the leaks and corrosion is at. Might be a cheaper alternative for you.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I suggest you shop around. I personally bought a new Bravo 3 drive from Mercruiser thru my mechanic for $4,500. 5 years ago I bought a remanufactured Bravo 3 drive for another boat for $2,500. The remaned drive looked and worked as good as the new one to tell you the truth. They all rot away. Just make sure you have the mercathode pucks installed in addition to the one on the drive. And if you do have them make sure they are functioning. If I was you I would buy whatever get's me back on the water for the least amount of money. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I definitely agree to check around and most definitely agree to go with new and not rebuild your current one.  I had a B-2 replaced last year.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call George at

http://www.allamericandriveservice.com

2-year warranty. Top work. Redid both my B-III drives.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Nice to hear from you Al. I guess I should note that my B-2 drive had some teeth come off the gear and go thru the drive.  So replacement was best on mine.  The insurance adjuster was shocked the gear tooth came off and had thought about taking it to mercury to find out what happened. (Note, my gear lube was new and to the correct level, and drives were not overheated)

• Options
    I believe there is no way you are going to get hurt buying a remaned drive. As a matter of fact there is a good chance it will be better than factory. I have 0 confidence in Mercruiser parts. They get worse every day. I have a close friend that has been doing business with Brunswick since Sea Ray sold to them and I have it on very good authority that Mercury product failure is built into their business plan. They depend heavily on these parts failing to create revenue. It's the only thing that has kept Brunswick in business over the last years. Chinese junk! 

Just think about all the dumb stuff they do that everyone knows is a problem. Mercruiser is like Harley Davidson. You are paying for the name. After market is usually as good or better. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Al good to hear from you. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    bottomlinebottomline Member Posts: 19
     Has anybody had any experience with gear oil other than Merc ?
  • Options
    BS. They have lot's of parts made in China. Even Brunswick won't deny that. I had my boat tuned up. All with Merc parts. The caps and rotors failed out of the box. Dealer himself sent me to Chevy dealer for replacements. They were junk from China and everyone knew it. I am not going to argue with you. It seems you have a sense of pride on this. I know what I know straight from the top in IL. All I am saying is that after market is not automatically bad and OEM is not automatically good.  
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Al, how come you just pop up all of a sudden? You got some explaining to do. 
  • Options
    Al, how come you just pop up all of a sudden? You got some explaining to do. 
    Al doesn't need to explain anything. It is great to have him back!!!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Al like me lurking in the shadows

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Handy I know your comment was tongue and cheek but it does not come across that way sometimes. Nobody really needs to explain anything. Its always nice hearing from Al and Boomer. They add a lot to the site.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Well its just that we miss him. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    Nice to hear from you Al. I guess I should note that my B-2 drive had some teeth come off the gear and go thru the drive.  So replacement was best on mine.  The insurance adjuster was shocked the gear tooth came off and had thought about taking it to mercury to find out what happened. (Note, my gear lube was new and to the correct level, and drives were not overheated)
    @Dream_Inn.  Sorry to pry into personal stuff but I am curious if the insurance took care of something like this for your B2?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I run a full synthetic gear oil from NeoSynthetic  75w90RHD.  I get it from the guy at All American Drive Service, it is a custom blend so not available from the Neo place direct.  He backed it up when my drives were rebuilt. 

He calls the Merc stuff "Blue Death"

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Handy I agree with you......
  • Options
  • Options
    Only about missing Al.....lol 
  • Options
    Don't do it again Al we can't handle the withdrawal symptoms LOL
  • Options
    Yeah, we all miss Al's opinions on stuff here and need him to keep us straight on stuff!

@06Rinker270 - the insurance did cover it.  They didn't like the thought that maybe I hit something, but thought it may had been a defect.  I had just heard a thump, and thought I may had hit something.  Not sure really what the cause was.  I am extremely happy with my insurance company, Global Marine, and will plan to stay with them for a very long time.  I had a much larger claim the year before (unfortunately) & they were good to deal with as well....that's the short story (come anchor out with us and I can tell you a much longer one over a few cold ones).

• Options
    Gotta love that.  I owe you a visit, might be by land first to check out that marina.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    ruwallydogruwallydog Member Posts: 92 ✭✭

I am pretty sure I am facing replacing both of my lower units as well. I will try and limp by this season, but I am definitely on borrowed time. My marina in AZ had a stray current issue and even though I replaced the anodes 2x per year, added the prop anode, and had anodes hanging over the side, etc. when the boat was pulled this year I had a lot of corrosion. Just moved back to Chicago so hopefully I won't have the same issue with the new marina.

Makes me sick to my stomach.

• Options
    Man you were in a hot marina!  The guy who rebuilt mine used to be down in TX and said that is not an uncommon problem there: he saw drives virtually dissolved from that.

You are not far from AL's shop nor the guy in Coldwater, MI that redid mine, you might be surprised what can be salvaged or swapped out from other dead drives to save some money over total new.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I agree with BD... If I lived that close to Al, I would have him do all of the work on my boat. Fortunately for me, the mechanic where I dock used to be the mechanic at the Rinker dealer in Pittsburgh. He helps me out a lot when I need service or even advice.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two sets of annodes in one season?  With extra sacrifices hanging overboard?  

H

R

P

Y'all scare me.  Don't think I'll ever marina.  Wow.. 
  • Options
    #1 reason you do not swim in a marina. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Excuse my ignorance, but is that really true?  Don't swim near a marina because of stray currents?  I know the long list of others reasons but never that one.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options