Options

Re-mounting the fresh water pump to make it quieter

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
This is a re-direct from another thread about water accumulator tanks.  A member is interested in modifying his fresh water pump to make it quieter.  He posted these photos of the mounting location:

OK ... disclaimer: on a quiet night, you'll still hear the pump no matter what you do.  But I think there's a good chance you can make it a lot quieter by paying attention to the details.   

The pump has rubber grommets at each of the four attachment points, right?  Those are your vibration mounts.  

To isolate the pump vibration, you want a flexible mount attached to a solid, stiff structure.  The bulkhead (where the pump is mounted now) is stiff, but I'd bet the stringer is much stiffer.  Since you have to relocate the pump anyway, I'd move it to the stringer.  Put the accumulator tank where the pump is now; it'll connect to the existing blue hose.  

Use flex hoses from the water tank to the pump, and from the pump to the accumulator.  Here's the link you posted for the flexible hoses:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WN5F96/ref=pe_139950_139785260_em_1p_14_ti

The next trick is how you attach the pump to the stringer.  One option is just re-use the existing rubber grommets, don't overtighten them, and hope for the best.  But I think a custom mount would work better.  I'd recommend this one, at $30 for a set of four:  http://www.mcmaster.com/#6772k811/=xfqmfn

(I saw another product that might work slightly better because it's softer, but it also costs a lot more.   http://www.mcmaster.com/#6008k42/=xfqnlk )

Screw the mounts solidly to the stringer.  Use a short nut and bolt (1/4-20 or smaller) to attach the pump to each mount.  Once it's all installed, if you push the pump with your hand, you should be able to wiggle it a little bit.  Make sure it feels strong enough that it won't break off in heavy seas.  

Then connect the hoses, fire up the pump, and bask in the glory of a quieter cabin.  What could possibly go wrong! 

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Well, you've got some good thoughts LaRea and I appreciate it.  My thought was to move it over to the stringer, but honestly not for the reason you mentioned.  It was because the blue hard water line would then attach right to the accumulator tank.  But it also makes sense that it would be more rigid as well.  I was going to use something like (http://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-591-01-Pump-Silencing-Kit/dp/B000WN5F96/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_7) to adapt the accumulator over to the freshwater pump.  (I know it's $20+ for two little hoses, but it makes it quick and simple).  & I believe using that hose after the pump will also help silent it more.

As I said, I need to think it thru a bit first to make sure I get it right, but I think I'm about there!  Thanks for the thread start!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PadVibrationThey make smaller pieces that you could cut up in 4s.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't someone from the old site use rubber hose between the pump and the wall to dampen the sound? I remember reading that and suggesting it to a fellow Rinker owner that doesn't have the city water connection on his boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    So you're saying bolt the pump to a short piece of soft rubber hose, and bolt the hose to the bulkhead -- basically an improvised vibration mount.  Yes, that could potentially accomplish the same thing, IF you get the stiffness right.   

Here's the key:  it has to be soft enough to decouple the pump from the bulkhead, but stiff enough and tough enough that nothing breaks in rough seas.  
  • Options
    LaRea, you will need a new picture after they tear down that monument in the background. LOL
  • Options
    If my boat had diesels, it wouldn't need anything in the background.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    If my boat had diesels, it wouldn't need anything in the background.
    That went right over my head
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    My pump that I replaced earlier this year seems to have gotten noisy again.  I added about a quarter of a folded up standard mtn bike tube to each screw and it dampened the sound quite a bit. Not the prettiest but effective.  I'm a cyclist so have lots of old tubes laying around that i probably should have thrown out years ago...  I knew i would find a use for these...
  • Options
    One of my pipes was banging against the firewall. Reclamped and all good. Had the same issue in my RV.