Options

Most economical cruising speed

minnesotaminnesota Member Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi guys

We have a 08 280.

Anyone knows the most economical cruising speed for the 496 Merc, Bravo III with 24" pitch?  I usually cruise at 3500 rpm at 29mph.

2008 280 EC

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on a lot of factors (load, trim, waves, etc.).  The best way to see your efficiency is to look at your GPH rate.  On a 2008 you can get that info with a Smartcraft display (VesselView, MercMonitor, etc.).

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I've read a lot of discussions on this topic, but I'm no expert. However there seems to be some consensus that hull speed is the most economical, although the boat is in displacement mode and is terribly slow. On a  boat with 25ft at the waterline, the hull speed in knots is the square root of 25 multiplied by 1.34 = 6.7 knots if my math is correct. Of course there are planing speeds that are a better economy/speed compromises for most skippers. As stated above, a fuel flow meter is the best tool for getting the most efficient use out of very pricey fuel.

Andy
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 260EC with 350MAG/B3, 30 mph, around 4000 rpm is the best fuel economy, at around 2 mpg.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

This is what I use its approx. but good enough, we have a 2007 280EC with VP 8.1 and OceanX.

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO