Options

Cables necessary to hookup new flat panel TV

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
Hi Everyone,

Boat is a 342, I am installing a new LED TV and wanted to know what cables I need to do this so I have them with me. Not sure if I can connect to existing antenna on the boat (original) and if so what cable (the TV has an antenna in/AIR/Cable input). I also ordered a hi-def marine antenna from Glomex - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YX8MWK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I used the existing TV antenna and it works fine.  It will connect to the coax connection on the TV.  A power cable will be included with the TV.  If you have an external device (DVD, BluRay, Roku, etc.) you will need an HDMI.  I have a 12v BluRay player installer where the original CD changer used to live.  Feed it with an HDMI cable.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Any old TV antenna with a coax cable will work, but the more recent models that are designed specifically for digital HDTV in a marine environment are a good choice. I've got an indoor antenna at my house that's 25 years old and it picks up awesome HD OTA signals out of San Diego 60 miles away.

On another TV topic, one problem I ran into recently involved an older Magnavox flatscreen HDTV on my boat with 1080P component red, blue, green RCA inputs only. Since almost all new digital devices output HDMI only, I bought a Portta brand converter for $46 on Amazon so I can now use my Roku or Sony BluRay player.

Andy
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the others have stated above, the existing antenna will work and pick up OTA HD channels. The HD channels ride in the UHF band. I get close to 25 channels where I am at.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a UHF/pizza dish on the top of you radar arch? If so that cable should go into an amplifier. The output from that amplifier should go straight into your HD TV and you can then tune in the channels.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I ordered a Glomex marine HDTV antenna and plan to try both the existing antenna and this one. Will report back the results.