Options

8hp Evinrude outboard

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
Well, I know with some of you I've been talking about getting another outboard (keeping my 3.3hp though).  I'd use it mainly while at my dock and let the kids do some water sports behind the dinghy.  I have a 8'6" baltik dinghy that weighs only about 50lbs (air floor).  I am looking at buying a 1992 2-stroke 8hp Evinrude tomorrow morning.  Looks like a good deal and comes with a 3-gal gas tank.  I would've sure loved to have found a 9.9 with a small built-in gas tank (seems gamefisher is only one like that and not sure how good they are).  Just thought I'd ask for any opinions on this setup and curious what anyone thinks if I can pull a skier??  I'd love to see if it could pull me out of the water (even better, on slalom).  Worse case, I think it'd get the kids up on tube or wakeboard.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Al.  I did buy the 8hp and I think at least for my kids it will be ok.  With just me on it, it really moves well.  Another full size adult and it took a while to get on plane.  But my two kids together are my weight.  It starts on the first pull and I got it for $400, so if I don't like after a while I should not have to take a loss.  My only concern is it seems to put a lot of pressure on the transom, even though my dinghy says it'll take a 10hp (& up to 770lbs).  It's probably normal, but I'll keep an eye on it.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al, what's your charge to make those upgrades to the 2-stroke 9.9?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Al. What's your turn around time to do that?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a 11' inflatable floor with a 9.5hp Sportwin (which is the older version of the 9.9). I can get 2 full size adults on plane, but not 3. It just plows along at 7-9mph.

I would be very surprised if you could get someone up on plane on skis or a tube, but I'd love to see the video of you trying! I'd bet you'd need 15hp to get that done.

Whats your top speed by yourself? I installed a hydrofoil and it helped with stability and porpoising. By myself and calm water/wind I can get ~ 17-19mph, but the tubes and floor have to be rock hard inflated to perform well.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    I'll have to take a little video.  I'll be using the 3.3hp the next 10 days but then use the 8hp over the holiday weekend.  You are correct about the floor.  Have to make sure that it is inflated solid!  I'll have to give the hydrofoil a thought.