Shorepower question

walleyewalleye Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
I have a 2008 320 that has dual 30 amp recepticals on the transom (one for a/c, other is general). I have a friend with a home on the water and a dock that doesn't have power. My question is, if I ran ONE extension cord from his home and used an adaptor (15 amp to 30 amp adaptor), would that be enough power to run my kohler 5e genset if I wasn't powering anything else? Want to sleep comfortably at his dock with my a/c on but not sure if 15 amps is enough juice. 

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 5e will run most everything on your boat at once. Keeping the batteries charged for the Mercathode (if you have Merc drives) is critical. You can run your AC all dsy on the 5e. No shore power needed. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • walleyewalleye Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback and good to know the 5e will power most everything. However, in reading my original post again I realize my question wasn't very clear. If I don't want to run the geny at night while I sleep, would 15amps from an extension cord plugged to his home  (using 30amp adapter connected to my a/c receptical) be enough power to run the a/c during night hours?
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be but try to use a heavy duty extension cord that is rated for 20 AMPS
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what the start up amperage is for the AC. The longer the extension cord, the higher the amp rating needs to be. Undersized it can overheat and catch fire. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know on my boat that the pump starts first followed by the fan and compressor. At least its staged.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the others stated above, use a heavy duty extension cord. If not, the cord could catch fire.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    And if you are using a good cord like your regular shore power cord plus the adapter at the house end, the breaker in your friends house should trip if you draw too high a load.