Help STBD Engine Overheating

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
Sitting at dock warming engines up and Stbd engine alarm went off, temp approaching 240. Checked coolant, seacock and strainer. All is normal.Did start/stop the engines several times before the alarm went off but wouldn't think that would cause it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you see water moving through the strainer?  Or remove a hose and crank the engine to see if it's pumping water?  The usual culprit is a failed impeller in the raw water pump.  Do you know how old the impellers are?
  • buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Thanks Larea, doing those checks now. I don't know how old.
    Took strainer out, nothing blocking water flow, no moving water when engine is running so impeller went. Thanks for the help guys!
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    You could also remove the end caps of your heat exchanger and clean it out. Does not take much to cause the engine to overheat.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    When was the seawater pump impeller last changed?  I usually start there for any overheating issues.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Not sure. Just bought her.
  • EaglesNestEaglesNest Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    most likely seawater pump.  Had same issue 2 weeks ago. can try taking off all the hoses to make sure there is not an obstruction as well.  but seawater pumps should be changed about every 2 years if you don't want problems.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing so many impeller and thermostat failures that it boggles my mind. I would definitely have the impellers and thermostats replaced on any used boat I purchased in the future, before it hits the water. I would even care if someone told me they just replaced them.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Decided that I don't have the time to tackle this. Had marina replace both impellers..  $750 total... Then the phone rings... Both water pumps are shot, add another $1500 cha ching. Will replacing both pumps also assure thermostat is replaced or do I need to tell them to do those as well?
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Um, I'll be the first to say it ... $750 to replace impellers is obscene.  I could do them both in 90 minutes, and I'm not that good.  A pro could do them in an hour start to finish.  

At those rates, I'd say keep your existing thermostats.