Battery switches left on emergency start

Just noticed that the surveyor left the battery switches on emergency start (raised indicator to the right most position) Been this way for 2 weeks. Could this cause any problems? Also I want to make sure I read the dial correctly, with writing on dial in normal reading position up/down the indicator is at 6 o'clock and in off position correct?

Comments

• jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    I'm glad you asked this question. I have a 2006 250 Express Cruiser. My battery switch is;
    3 o'clock - battery 2
    6 o'clock - off
    9 o'clock - battery 1
    12 o'clock - emergency start
    Since I don't have an "all/both" battery setting I just assumed that 12 o'clock emergency start was also both batteries. Since when running I want to charge both batteries, I leave my boat on emergency start when under power...
    (obviously when anchored I switch to battery 1 or 2 when running radio, etc.)

any thoughts on the emergency start setting when the battery switch does not say all?
  • duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    jklien, i have the same year and model boat, with which sounds like the same switch. if you have an isolator set up, then both batteries will charge regardless to which position your in on the switch. i did a meter test on mine while running and both batteries were getting the same voltage as the terminals on the isolator.
    Duane - thank you. Very helpful. I hear stories about using battery 1,2 or all and what is the correct position. I also hear about changing the switch while under power?  I do this often since previous to your post I start the boat on 1 or 2 and then switch to "emergency start" assuming that means all to supposedly charge the batteries. Based on your feedback I will not do that any more. 
    Curiously, what do you usually start on/run on?
    Thanks again. 
    Btw - 250 EC awesome boat. Has everything, perfect manageable size. Love it. A good friend just purchased a new SeaRay 26 ft. $85K. I think the Rinker is better equipped...
  • WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Your batteries will charge either way, just turn them on and go.

To the OP it will not cause an issue, just turn them back to on when using and off when not.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    jklein said:
    Duane - thank you. Very helpful. I hear stories about using battery 1,2 or all and what is the correct position. I also hear about changing the switch while under power?  I do this often since previous to your post I start the boat on 1 or 2 and then switch to "emergency start" assuming that means all to supposedly charge the batteries. Based on your feedback I will not do that any more. 
    Curiously, what do you usually start on/run on?
    Thanks again. 
    Btw - 250 EC awesome boat. Has everything, perfect manageable size. Love it. A good friend just purchased a new SeaRay 26 ft. $85K. I think the Rinker is better equipped...
    i agree 100% on the the model and style of the boat. only thing i would change is more power!! lol mine has 5.7 with duo prop and with 5 or 6 adults in doesn't get on plane too easily. once it's up its fine.

i start and leave my switch on number 1 battery, strictly starting battery. only time i switch to 2 is when i am on the hook.i'm sure you've read it here but i will say it again just in case, NEVER move the switch to the off position while running. i added a third battery on mine. i have 1 24 starting battery, and 2-31's for the house bank.  i turned them parallel to the transom and worked like a charm.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    It should not have caused too much of an issue, but I'd put them in the normal position.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the batteries the same make and type (crank vs. deep cycle vs. gel)? By bridging them together, you basically short cut the isolators. If they are different types of batteries, you are right to ask the question. I don't know exactly how bad it is to bridge two different battery types, but there are guys on this site that can definitely chime in.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Right or wrong I replaced both my batteries last season with identical new AGM. I didn't go with a crank battery.  Nor did I change any of the factory wiring or location. 
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    One time I ran my old crappy flooded starter battery down "flat" as the Brits say, after an overnight stay at Catalina. It was a with great relief, after turning the switch to the "both" position, to have the engine fire right up.

As others have said often, NEVER turn the battery selector switch whilst the motor is running.

Andy
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's important to find out whether your boat has a battery isolator.  If it doesn't, and you leave the switch on "emergency", you are NOT charging both batteries.   Most Rinkers come from the factory with an isolator, but it's worth checking.