Options

Oh how life changes so quickly

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Well we are contemplating selling our 2005 360FV.  My wife is starting a business which I will be providing the business acumen too.  So our life just got real busy and I don't see a way of finding time for the boat.  The reality is we are 6 months at least away from opening, so we'll probably enjoy the boat the rest of the season and then offload it.  We will certainly find a way back to the cruising lifestyle hopefully sooner than later.  What do you guys think is a realistic asking price for a very well maintained 360FV?

It is mostly as you would find it from the factory with some upgraded TV's, new canvas, and an added bow thruster.  It has the twin Merc 496's w/ Bravo 3s.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boats are only worth what you can sell them for. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    c'mon Handy, we have to be more encouraging then that! Sounds like your trying to sell yours!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was me, and I could afford it, I would keep the boat. My ex and I started her beauty salon about 10 years ago and we didn't use the boat much. Once things got rolling, the next season we were back at it and using the boat every weekend. TO save some cash, you could store it for a year rather than pay for a wet slip. Just some food for thought...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sure if you plan on being back on the water, rather keep it. It'll be a whole lot more expensive to sell yours at a loss, then by a new one and spend money getting it to the same shape your old one was.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    My recent experience selling our 342 says don't expect it to sell at the end of the season.  

In the fall and winter, what you'll get is tire-kickers, lowball offers (if any), and cold calls from brokers who want to list your boat ... basically a big waste of your time, effort and listing fees.  Unless you want to take a beating on price, the boat will still be on the market next April.  Then your phone will start ringing off the hook.  I'd say shrink-wrap it for the winter, and list it on the first warm day of April.  

(Incidentally, that approach will also help you avoid seller's remorse.  If you can part with your boat on a warm spring day, then you really are ready to sell!)
  • Options
    I dry store mine on a trailer for 90 bucks a month....now I'm sure you can't put yours on a trailer but you might find someplace pretty cheap away from the water to store it and the cost to move it/store it much less that what you have to write a check for to dump it.
  • Options

Thanks guys.  Yeah I'm just not sure how soon we could get back on the water hence considering the sale..  Between a new business and having 2 kids whom are just getting to the sports age, free weekend time will be pretty limited.  I would hate to let her sit for multiple years.  We question whether to let the kids play in every and any league or limit them where we can still have a functioning family life on the weekends, which would mean boat time.  I look at what family members have gone through and the amount of travel they put forth to support their kids activities and I question whether its really healthy.  The child is likely to have no career in sports yet the amount of time they dedicate to it end up affecting grades, priorities, family etc.

Still lots to consider.  If we think 1 year is realistic, than i'll keep it but anymore seems to be just throwing away more money than necessary.

• Options
    Craig- can only tell you of my experience-when I was raising our kids (and I'm 56 now) we did not have the money nor the time to do all the sports stuff, plus, it just wasn't as intense as it is not. We ended up raising two grand kids now, one is 15 that we had in softball, travel ball and state finals for two years and it was way more than we could take. Perhaps it is our age but it was a lot of work, but worth it. She has since gone to live with her dad last year which is why we pulled the trigger on the boat-otherwise we would not have. Sounds like your a lot younger, you will have time for boating later in life, it won't last forever the sports thing and they may not want to even do it after a couple of years. Between the school work and the sports I don't know how the kids take it frankly. You will figure it out!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Craig - I am in the middle of all that right now. Rep soccer, winter hockey, summer hockey, the list goes on.

Here's my advice, but some facts first.

Fact 1 - children's sporting is a money making industry. It is the perfect setup, poking at the emotions to get parents to fork out more cash... how can you deny an opportunity for your children? 

Fact 2 - most kids eventually get bored and move onto something else. Not all, but most. They get all excited at first, and us parents go the whole nine yards, but after a few years, different things become important.

Fact 3 - sporting is great for kids, gets their mind off other stress, keeps them healthy, off VIDEO GAMES, etc.  But there also has to be a balance. We have kids on our street that we NEVER SEE (maybe 2 times in the whole summer).

Fact 4 - you can get so sucked into this that you will have NO family time left. Your wife and you will not eat dinner together for most of the week. You will be travelling one way on the weekend with one child, and she another way with another child. There is a big sacrifice made - the family time actually diminishes.

After what I've gone through - this is the advice I have.  Kids just want to have fun. They don't need to be on the best team that practices 6 times a week and costs $3000 per year to have fun. They really don't. Keep it simple. Get them involved in something that's a couple of days a week and affordable, and preferably during weekdays. Keep it close to home - we got ourselves in a situation where we were travelling 80 miles round trip 4 to 5 times a week. It was costing a lot of money and time on the road. Find a club close to home, so you aren't whipping through traffic and supporting your local gas station on your consumption alone. Don't get sucked in unless your child is (a) exceptional and (b) eats and sleeps the sport. A lot of parents get sucked into more training, more trips, "lifetime opportunities." Just remember, there's a commission being paid for every child that books - $$$ not quality and experience.  There are millions of kids involved, and your child is just another number (sorry, it sounds harsh, but it is the reality). Don't allow your child to be a number - go back to my first point, just make sure they are having fun. That is the most important thing.

Lastly, make sure you know when "family time" is. There has to be a day or two a week you know that nothing else will interfere with that time. Fight to maintain that time, resist any other obligations and commitments. My wife and I basically didn't eat dinner together for over 1 year because of my son's soccer.  We sacrificed a lot. This year, well ... he wants to play baseball. So, did we need to put 15,000 miles on our car, 5 days a week, no family time, $3000 per year, etc. etc. Nope, it would have been just as good to play in a local league 2 days a week, he would have had just as much fun. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I dont have any kids and still dont have time to boat. 
  • Options
    youstolemybeeryoustolemybeer Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    "oh how life changes"     Tell me about it, back in april my wife had a double masectomy and then complications. So my boating time is nil to negative.  BUT with the boat in the slip and the slip rent paid for the year, i REFUSE to sell it.  It is now our cabin in the woods if you will. We cant take it out on the weekends due to too rough of water. But we love going down to it during the week and hanging out on it and maybe a slow (VERY) ride around the marina. Also she understands if I want to go "work" on the boat. Working on the boat always seems to involve a six pack and cheap cigars.
    If your boating somewhere close to home, dont sell it. You will regret it. If it takes you longer than 45 minutes to get to your boat then by all means unload it and enjoy the free money that you are already spending.
    Good luck 
    Steve
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Well, I have a 14 yr old daughter and 12 yr old son.  I'm with Mark.  My kids play in local sports, only one at time and guess what, no summer sports.  We limit it to the other 3 seasons.  May sound selfish, but it is best for the family and we really enjoy our boating time together.  And in the spring and fall, we still use our boat as our weekend home base and drive from the marina to the games.  Luckily, as Mark mentioned, the local teams only have practice 1 or 2 times a week and a game 1 or 2 times a week.  Now, my son is also into scouting, but we limit it also for the summer and then in the spring/fall most of his weekend activities are for the whole weekend, so we drop him off on Friday and pickup on Sunday.

I guess what I'm saying is you make it work for what you want.  My sister and her family are one that goes crazy and does the sports overdose and they have to be in everything all the time!  It is crazy and you eat at fast food and nothing is healthy about it.  Not for me.  Good luck with your decision!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream there is a marina at every soccer field? LOL
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
     Handymans342 said:
    Dream there is a marina at every soccer field? LOL

Good one Handy!  If it were only true!  Monday was the last baseball game! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks guys.  Great feedback and very helpful.  I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.  Until then i'll continue to enjoy the boat with the family every weekend this summer.  We are off to Block Island for a long fathers day weekend on Friday.