Options

2005 32 ft trim tab on port side only does not operate.

weskolweskol Member Posts: 1
2005 32 ft trim tab on port side only does not operate. stbd ok. how to find poor connection?

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    You have the Lenco electric trim tabs, not hydraulic?  Most of the time, it's a failed actuator rather than a wiring problem.  When was the last time it worked?  If it failed over the winter, it could be water in the actuator leading to freeze damage.  

Replacing an actuator isn't difficult or expensive.  Some people have even replaced them with the boat in the water, although it's much easier out of the water.
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    I just had this issue two weeks ago. It was the same side as well. The lights lite up on the switch just like it was going to work. I ended up unwrapping all the wires from where it came through the stern to the switch on the dash. It ended up being one of the wires was rubbing against a corner of the dash. If you pull the lower set of gauges out ( The L section with the compass) and look to the right where the wires come up from the stern. I was able to see the frayed wire right away from rubbing all these years. I spliced together, heat shrunk and made sure the wires were protected so it would not happen again. Hit the button and was so happy to hear both working--I use my tabs a lot and did not want to pull the boat to replace the actuator. Now re-wrapping the wires was not bad although it took over an hour but I was happy it ended up being an easy fix. Hope yours is that easy. We have the same year and boat. Maybe when they were manufactured the process was the same. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
  • Options
    jhortajhorta Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    I am having a similar issue with the port side tab.  Nothing happens.  I had already purchased a Lenco Autoglide, and assumed (more like hoped) that the new box would resolve the issue.  Alas, port side still not working.  Anyone know the best way to trace the trim tab cables? The old lenco wired or white with orange or green stripes.