Options

Replace zippers on camper canvas?

We are looking to replace the zippers on our camper canvas for our Rinker 342 so we can squeeze a couple of more seasons before replacing. Is $10 per foot a reasonable price for South Jersey? The other estimate (without seeing and measuring) was $80 to $125 per zipper depending on length. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Labor intensive
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Well, in my area a decent price is around $35 per zipper (most zippers I've had done are in the 3-8 ft range.  So 10 bucks a foot isn't too far off I guess.  I will add that I've always gone with the next larger zipper and black.  The white does not hold up to UV very well and becomes brittle.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhmm, before you go spending all that money fixing an old canvas, contact TJ (boattech01).  I spent $250 replacing zippers, and then found that TJ could just give me a whole canvas piece with new zippers for $200. Manual labor is expensive.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I spent $160 on 2 zippers about 18" long for my above the wind shield enclosure. I changed the cheap light duty black nylon zippers for the heavy duty white zippers. Cost included removal and install.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I spent $850 replacing all of my zippers last year.  This year, I replaced my entire canvas and eisenglass.  Tell me that doesn't stink!!  Once the zippers go, the eisenglass won't be far behind.  UV is a killer of all things expensive.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    ShippanMikeShippanMike Member Posts: 5

Question for GSLPRO: When you replaced canvas did you also do the piece that attaches to the arch?  If so, how difficult to rethread the new canvas to the plastic on the arch?

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rethreading the arch connection is easy. 

Replacing the zippers is not cheap. Just watch you are not wasting money if the fabric is breaking down or the eisenglass as noted above. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    The arch pieces should be easy.  I remove mine at the end of each year, before storage.  It is a two person job, with one threading the beginning piece and making sure it stays low and in the track.  The other moves the front and middle around the arch.   And yes, it did come with new arch pieces.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    rumrunnerkwrumrunnerkw Member Posts: 6
    Thanks everyone! We found someone who replaced the zippers and did some other repairs for a total of $600. We should get another 2-3 years out of the canvas. Super nice guy but he is getting out of the business.