Options

Dragging and squeaking

69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
I took my '03 Captiva 232 out for the 4th time this year, and had a little issue. It's a 350 Mag/Bravo 3, and I had both batteries fully charged before going. When I went to start the boat, the starter was dragging badly, and there was a very loud squeaking while the engine was turning over, and not starting. The engine eventually started, and continued squeaking for 5-10 seconds, and sounded similar to a belt squeaking, although I'm not sure the belt can squeak while the engine is cranking and not running? 

I shut the engine off, and restarted it 7-8 times with no issue throughout the day. No dragging, and no squeaking......100% normal. Then, out of nowhere, it did it again. The starter was dragging, there was squeaking, and it didn't want to start. Once it finally did star, it was fine, and started normally for the rest of the day.  

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    The serpentine belt moves with the engine, and when cranking the starter the entire rotating assembly is moving, so yes the belt moves. It could a belt tensioner or pulley on an accesory is providing too much resistance, causing the belt to slip and squeal. Or the belt is worn and not providing the proper friction. I'd start with a new belt and see if it helps. 
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your idler pulleys too, bearings can go bad. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Yeah, I have a slight noise that is coming from what I believe is a bearing.  Just trying to figure out which pulley is causing the noise.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    short shots of silicone spray will allow you to identify an isolate a bad pulley quick like.
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I'd say a bearing in a pulley is a good place to start. If it were starting to try and seize up, it would make it harder to turn, which could make the starter struggle to turn the engine over. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad bearings in the alternator and water pump too, less likely in the power steering pump. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI