Options

Joker valve on marine head

How often do you all typically change the joker value on your marine head? 

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replace mine once every two seasons.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't replaced mine yet and this is my 4th season. But I probably should soon, as I have some bubbling back into the head when I flush. No stinky smells though, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    PairADicePairADice Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Every other year.. its a very inexpensive and easy part to change and can prevent a mess in the head... 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone post what the valve looks like and where it actually is in the flush unit. I have the electric conversion on my jabsco toilet. If it's that easy to change I can just do it next weekend.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    It's right where the hose (that goes to the waste tank) meets the toilet.  There are 3 or 4 screws and the joker valve is right in there.  Just google joker valve or duck bill for a picture (duck bill is same but larger).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Circling back on this. I replaced my joker last June and all was well last summer. Now getting just a slight smell after I flush and wondering if I should replace it again after 1 year. No bubbling at all, just the smell. Holding tank is only at 1/3. We do use it all weekend long, only #1 of course and only biodegradable TP for the admiral. Could this be an annual replacement part?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 try treating the valve by flushing some mineral oil.  Assume you're already putting waster treatment in regularly.  

Also, I don't know if waste tank vent hoses have filters on them from the factory.  I know my 342 did not have one.  I added a Big Orange filter to mine.  May want to check and see if you have a filter.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Thanks. Yes I am treating with head treatment, actually if i put a couple of ounces down the bowl the smell goes away for the weekend. I'll try some oil this weekend. I do have an inline vent filter which I re built myself last June with new charcoal, etc. so I'm thinking this is joker or it's just that I need to put some more chemicals down there. Will do the oil though. 

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't like the name of this valve due to its location... not a good place for jokes.  

may i suggest a petition to swap this valves title with petc0ck valve?  I don't mind calling a valve on a heat exchange a joker valve... 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    i don't like the name of this valve due to its location... not a good place for jokes.  

may i suggest a petition to swap this valves title with petc0ck valve?  I don't mind calling a valve on a heat exchange a joker valve... 
    I vote for "waste check valve".

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    That's what I like about this forum - snippets of new information. Next time I am on board I'll check out this little gem of potential olfactory impact.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    Can anyone post what the valve looks like and where it actually is in the flush unit. I have the electric conversion on my jabsco toilet. If it's that easy to change I can just do it next weekend.
    Mounts inside the discharge hose flange. Back side of the unit at the bottom. Two screws holding the flange to the unit. Second pic is what valve looks like. Called a joker valve as in the shape of a jokers hat.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    @icoultha do you have an electric or manual head? @Willhound I have never seen that unit that you posted a pic of in the dozens of Rinkers I have seen. Looks like a neat way to turn a manual head in to an electric head after market? Usually the electric heads have a push button to flush located under the sink. The Joker is just inside of the output hose at the base of the head. Usually 3 screws and a triangular piece. 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have come to the conclusion that I need to replace my joker valve every year. There is nothing worse than coming back to the boat after a week and the head smells like old urine. Ugh... I even flush about a gallon of fresh water when I leave the boat to try and prevent that. The joker valve on my head has two screws. I have seen the aftermarket electric conversion that is pictured above. It isn't the quietest thing, but it might be worth it for the middle of the night flush. One quick twist verses 3 or 4 pumps of the manual flush would probably be better.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    @cableguy greg - the electric version is great (had it on my 310).  & yes, it is loud and you will quickly learn no flushing allowed in middle of night :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
     @Willhound I have never seen that unit that you posted a pic of in the dozens of Rinkers I have seen. Looks like a neat way to turn a manual head in to an electric head after market? 
    That's exactly what it is. Replaces the standard Jabsco twist and lock hand pump. Turn it one way and water comes into the bowl, turn it the other and it sucks it out and pushes it to the tank, also has a macerator in the base to chop up paper etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @icoultha do you have an electric or manual head? @Willhound I have never seen that unit that you posted a pic of in the dozens of Rinkers I have seen. Looks like a neat way to turn a manual head in to an electric head after market? Usually the electric heads have a push button to flush located under the sink. The Joker is just inside of the output hose at the base of the head. Usually 3 screws and a triangular piece.

Electric head - and will check it out.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Cool aftermarket upgrade and nice that it's quiet. I like the simplicity of my electric vs vacuflush but yes sometimes at 4am I "let it mello". Greg funny you mention the fresh water flush at the end of the weekend. I always do that to leave for the week, sometimes using leftover bottled water so it's very clean, and just the last two weekends have a smell when I arrive and do the first flush telling me something is secreting in over the week. Sounds Jokerish :)

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    If I know I'm going to be away from the boat for a while I'll pour some water in the toilet and pour a little lav treatment in it. When I come back it smells nice and fresh!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    So now watching the video I assume the joker is only the manual pump so I have nothing to check and change.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Nope. Electric also. Even the one's that are original electric with the pump mounted horizontally to the rear of the bowl. These have three screws as Liberty has pointed out, and probably easier to change as the hose exits to the side instead of the rear. Same joker valve though I believe. Joker valve is $15 to $20 at worst. Something that could/should likely be changed every year or two just for preventative maintenance.
    I was getting some flow back on our conversion as in my pic above, after changing the valve, works like a champ. Job took 10 minutes. Disposable vinyl gloves and some old rags are your friends....not as smelly, bad a job as you'd think.
    Edit: Here is a link to the official Xylem you-tube on changing out electric head joker.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2D5Bm_18qE
    Post edited by Willhound on
  • Options
    Thanks @Willhound, I would have looked anyway when there but no doubt parked it back of mind thinking no urgency.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Checked it out, got the pump model number and thanks to the video, ordered said part. I know I've never changed this so for around $10 a good preventative measure.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    same here - for $10 delivered on amazon I decided to just buy a new one and be done with it. Will make it an annual spring maintenance part.