Having a fuel tank emptied

olemiss89olemiss89 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I'm having water/fuel issues and after changing filters and dumping them several times and adding blue stabil to the tank I'm still not getting my starboard engine to stay running. Has anyone ever had their fuel reclaimed, tank cleaned and start over? I feel like it is a last resort but also maybe a quicker fix at this point. Does a tank really need cleaning as well?
Thanks.

Comments

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I hired a marine mechanic to drain my old leaking tank of about 60 gallons in an emergency situation. The tank was accessed via the sender hole in the top of the tank. He used a 12v automotive fuel pump rig he'd built himself. and we put it in 20 gallon plastic jugs that came off a Mexican smuggling boat that had been seized by the Gov't, LOL.

It was slow going and obviously you have to be extra cautious around gasoline fumes due to the explosive potential. You simply cannot have anything nearby that will generate a spark, even static electricity is a hazard. So first put out the stogie!

That old tank of mine was junked, but I imagine if the input hose is at the lowest point in your tank it will pick up the sediment in the bottom, and then you can flush thoroughly with fresh fuel.

Andy
  • rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    When I have had bad fuel issues I just rigged up a fuel pump and hooked it to my fuel line and sucked out the bad fuel that way. Eventually you should get down to good fuel. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• FDNY49FDNY49 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Best to discard old fuel and start over with fresh fuel. 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are fuel polishing companies that will run your fuel through their trucks, remove water and add additives to re-vitalize your fuel. For diesel engines there are pump and filter systems that are very inexpensive that can be owner installed. They are rigged to simple timers that cycle your diesel through the filters. they are very safe and auto shut-off at the first sign of any kind of trouble. We talked about fuel polishing a while back and I believe I posted some info on it.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Now your talking MT!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
     Handy has an email automatically sent to him when the word diesel is mentioned. :)  (I bet it is even set up for deisel spelling as well)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Steve is definitely committed!
    Its funny how there are no other Diesel Rinker owners on here well maybe 1 other but even he has gone away. Guess its because WE HAVE NO PROBLEMS!  LOLOLOL
    When you can afford to purchase diesels and also retire in Florida, exactly what problems would you have?????
    I could think of some non boating problems.
    Hopefully not too serious Steve!