Options

outdrive slipping??

2»

Comments

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    If the engine has to come out to replace the coupler, make sure to check the bottem of the oil pan for rust from condensation and bilge water.
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    ceverley00,  Let us know what your mechanic finds.  I have had wads of seaweed and grass gum up the props so you get no thrust and feels like slippage.  Usually that would all come off by reversing.  And, some props have bushings that can slip when they get old, so maybe its not a major repair.
  • Options
    ceverley00ceverley00 Member Posts: 12
    I'll let you know when i take it. But I ran the heck out of it last weekend with no issues what so ever. Burnt around 3/4 of a tank of fuel
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    ceverly00, Since you only thought you had the issue once, my opinion your boat is just fine given its age, hours, and maintenance history. I'd run it this season and when it's time to winterize have the outdrive pulled off, grease the U-joints, change fluids, check that engine alignment, which is normal annual maintenance anyway.  Your mechanic can check it over at that time.  That 15 seconds of a slipping sensation you described didn't necessarily sound like a problem to me.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I agree with howardrams.  It could be a number of things like cavitation or seaweed or???  If it is working, just have it all checked out at end of season.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    ceverley00ceverley00 Member Posts: 12
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. If it don't happen again and frequent, I'll wait till end of season. Being new to boating I figured I'd get some opioions to get an idea of what it could've been. I appreciate the advice and comments from everyone. I can tell this will be a handy forum to be a part of
  • Options
    joefranjoefran Member Posts: 1
    Have 350 mag MPI Bravo 3 when shifting to forward long delay before engaging, reverse seems fine, looking at clone clutch replacement. Seems minor slippage when trying to get up on plane. Kind of little jerks. But yesterday much worse seem about the same getting up on plane, but once on plane alot of engine noise almost sounds like a rod, But no noise during exceleration.  Could clone clutch silpage and maybe gimble bearing or u joints transmit that sound to the engine compartment. 2005 575 hours
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are others here who will know better, but I’d be questioning the shaft cable on the drive. Have you done a transom kit lately? New seals, bellows and the cable is usually done then.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)