Options

How to leave AC

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
When leaving the boat how do you set the AC? I set it to 76 and fan to A thinking that is auto. Is this correct?

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should never leave the a/c on while you are not at the boat. All unnecessary systems should be turned off to reduce the risk of flooding.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, I leave the A/C off when we leave the boat for the week.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I just had an A/C tech service my a/c. He suggested leaving the heating/cooling on auto to keep the cabin even temp, dry and cool for the refrigerator. He says the temps in the cabin can reach 120+ degrees and over heat the refrigerator compressor. I see a lot of the boats in our marina with the a/c 's left on. 

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Nobody's wrong, but from a safety perspective the A/C should be off if you're not going to be at the boat for more than a day or so, and the seacock closed.  I'm more cautious to always turn off the dock water hose since I think that would fill the boat up faster than the bilge pump could pump it out if one of the many hoses to showers and sinks were to split or pop off.

The risk is small when everything is maintained and inspected regularly, but I have seen a boat or two turn into a submarine at the dock.
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

I leave mine on in dehumidifying mode. It is a suggested program by the company (ac system) when we leave the boat for a week or so. Cautious I am, did not like to do that the first time but all was excellent when I got back. I do turn off my hot water tank breaker when I leave and the breaker for the range. Also, turn off the water supply to the boat (fresh water).  

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave my AC on auto all the time. Keep the strainer clean. Have a fan running too just to keep the air moving better in the vberth. I would estimate on my dock every boat with AC leaves it running. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI