Options

LED upgrade

I am looking to replace my spreader lights on the radar arch and the courtesy lights at foot level with LED's on my 03 290 Fiesta Vee.  Anyone know a good source or a quality product?

Thanks,
Brian

Comments

• Options
    Boatin BillBoatin Bill Member Posts: 22 ✭✭

It’s cheaper just to replace the bulb with the festoon LED bulb. Just did mine and they work great.  Great cheap source for these bulbs is from the link below. The only drawback is that the bulbs literally are shipped from China so they take about 4 weeks to receive. I noticed that a lot f the ones sold at the big stores are the same bulb only re-packaged and priced 4 times as much!

http://www.ledlightbulb.net/store/index.php?main_page=time_out&zenid=m088d5j4feldiadgjput4d2v37

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I bought them from the same places Bill mentioned.  I did the blue ones in the cockpit and white below and warm white in the staterooms.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    I know our West Marine now has a huge selection of LEDs. Like others above, I did the inexpensive chinese G4 bulbs ($1e +/-) in the cabin(see pic) They fit right in the socket and are plenty bright but the Admiral likes a more subdued light in the cockpit. These don't dim and I'm pretty sure these won't plug right into the cockpit sockets so I'm on the prowl for something that'll fit and will dim or I'll have to add a 2nd set that would be for more "casual" moments. Lights in the engine compartment are also on my short list. All of which can be found at WM or the link above.

I also ordered a few strings of waterproof LEDs in the same order from China. As a prototype I strung them together inside a sealed florescent tube protector sleeve and attached them under the swim platform for a low amperage fishing light and it works so great that they're still there. It's a major bait magnet (pic). Others have used short sets of these same w/p LEDs in the cockpit for party lighting.

A combination of green and some white. I think doubled up two 3' strings of waterproof  LEDs...Just a thought. Cost was under $20 all up.image
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    brianflhrcibrianflhrci Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Great idea.  I'll check out the links above.  Never thought of just replacing the bulbs, definitely a cost saver.  Thanks guys.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced my spreader lights with the tri-color LEDs - toggle from white/red/ble  look sweet and better light than the old lights, plus they are sealed...zero water issues anymore.  yachtlights.com

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rmrider03rmrider03 Member Posts: 2
    superbrightleds.com