Options

1st Cruiser with generator and ac

Forever143Forever143 Member Posts: 4
We just purchased our first cruiser with a generator and ac.  2002 Rinker Fiesta 270.  Any advice on operating and maintaining the generator and ac?  The seller just had a new choke assembly put on the generator and the repair guy told me to change the impeller yearly.  I asked about running the ac and he basically said after the generator is running just turn it on.  Well I did, but it didn't blow cold air.  What am I missing?

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    After you turned on the AC, was it pumping a steady stream of water out the side of the boat?  

If not, check that the generator seacock is open.  Make sure you can see water in the strainer, and the strainer isn't clogged.  If you don't have water being pumped to the compressor, it won't turn on and you won't get cold air.  

Do you store the boat in the water, or on a lift/trailer?  Sometimes it can be difficult getting the pump primed right after launching the boat.  If you take the boat out and get up on plane, that will usually prime the pump.  
  • Options
    Forever143Forever143 Member Posts: 4
    It is stored on a trailer and I waited until we anchored to start the generator and ac.  I know water was coming out the side when we started the generator.  After seeing your comment I am guessing water from the ac comes out someplace else.  How do I check the seacock and strainer?  Thanks for your help!!  I would hate to overheat something and cause a costly repair!!
  • Options
    Great -- time for you to start digging around and learning more about your boat!

The air conditioner is in the bow, right?  It has a water supply hose coming in from the pump, and a water discharge hose leading to a thru-hull fitting that spits water out the side of the boat.  Find the discharge fitting so you know where to look for water when you start the AC.

Next, find the pump.  It'll be down low in the cabin, probably at the back under the mattress.  It's an electric motor about 6-8 inches long.  You should have a thru-hull fitting with a shutoff valve (seacock) marked "A/C".  A hose leads from there to a clear plastic strainer, and from there to the pump.  

Close the seacock (rotate the handle so it's at a right angle to the hose).  Unscrew the plastic cap on the strainer and rinse out the metal screen, then reassemble and open the seacock.

It's often difficult to prime the AC pump after the boat has been out of the water.  Try starting the generator, turning on the AC, and then running the boat up to speed for a few seconds.  That should force some water into the pump.  

Once you get it working, if you're taking the boat out of the water, close the seacock first.  Next time you launch the boat, open the seacock after the boat is in the water, and it should work right away.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRae, I believe the A/C water supply is via the through hull. That feeds the pump, the pump discharges via an nozzle above water on the side of the boat. I think above, you said it in reverse.

You could also try and prime the pump by filling water reverse through the outlet.

Forever, did you notice water coming out of the side of the boat, just in front of the helm, about 1 foot above the water line? There should be a nozzle, mine is on the starboard side.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Right - thru-hull to strainer to pump to AC to outlet.  And I guess you're saying the AC is located amidships on the starboard side rather than under the V-berth.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 260 EC, the AC is located in the mid berth at the foot of the bed. There's an air return grill and it's behind that.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Same here MarkB. 2007 280 here. Although I don't have a genny (wired for one), biggest thing is cleaning the strainer. Especially if you sit in a marina and run the AC. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3