Options

2000 Rinker 340 - AC not working on Shore Power. But works on generator power.

REPREP Member Posts: 10
My AC unit on my 2000 Rinker 340 is not working when plugged into shore power.  However, it does work when I run the generator.  The breaker on the panel box is not tripping.  I have switched power supply lines and they both work when plugged into the other electrical input for the boat.  So it is not the power supply lines.  

Does anyone have any ideas on why this would occur?  Thanks for your consideration.

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you turn on the breaker for the A/C shore power input line. It probably is in the cockpit, close to the stern.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark - Yes, the breaker is on.   The weird thing is that it was working just fine and then just would not come on after going out one day.  I did not switch or change anything.  And it comes on just fine when I switch power over to the generator.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any thing else not working? Like Microwave? Outlets? battery charger?
  • Options
    Everything else works just fine.  
  • Options
    Handy - the AC shore power is on a separate circuit for the 340. It is not common to the other circuits. So I think the main isolation breaker on the AC shore power is off, and I'm not talking about the one at the breaker board in the cabin.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Where is the other one??????????????
  • Options
    In the cabin there is a breaker for the Airconditioning and main power. Two. 
  • Options
    AC = 120 Volts or it could be Airconditioning.  :)
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,458 admin
    Check the shore power connector where you plug in to the A/C. I just replaced mine. The wires were so loose that when I removed the "plug" from the side of the boat the wires fell off. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Wait, do you have a port shore and starboard shore power as well, or just port shore power?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,458 admin
    Its a 2000 most likely just a port shore power I would assume.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I had a simular problem a couple seasons ago. I was luckily tied up to a pretty knowledgeable electrician who diagnosed it quickly. Long story short. The AC breakers on board actually switch both common (White wire) and hot (Black wire) in the same switch (Double Pole). It turned out that the main breaker for my generator on the Air Conditioner side had gone bad and lost the common wire connection. The panel showed good power coming in but the common to the AC unit was broken. If it wasn't for him I'd probably still be scratching my head. He got me thru the weekend by putting a jumper from the ground to the common on the AC unit itself. That week I replaced the bad breaker (A real PIA) and all was good. I would have never thought of that because in a typical AC Power situation there is no switch on the common wire just the hot. All commons and grounds go to the same bar in the panel. It really fooled me because all things showed good power from the panel to the AC unit. Good luck. Check continuity on everything. A lesson learned. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Wow.  A lot of great ideas here.  Not sure which one is the problem based on all of the input here.  

Raybo3 - I would like to check the shore power connector on the boat when I go up this weekend.   How do you take it apart?

MarkB - Just to clarify, there are two 30 amp circuits going into the port side of the boat.  They are side by side.  One is designated only for the AC.  The other covers everything else.   You can see them in my profile pic.  

Explore - So how do you check the breaker?  Get an electrician?  Or can you check it with a volt meter?

Handy and MarkB - is there another breaker somewhere else besides on the main panel?  If so, where is it?  
  • Options
    jaubryjaubry Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    I had the same issue. There is a small panel behind the door to the cockpit from the swim platform. In that panel (looks like outdoor electrical box cover) there are 2 additional breaker switches. Check those
  • Options
    When the shore power is connected and the AC unit breaker is turned on. Go to the AC Unit with a multimeter. Put the red lead on the black wire where the power comes into the unit. Put the black lead on the white wire. If you get a good reading then everything is good at the panel. If you get no reading keep the red lead on black then put the black lead on the green wire. If you get a good reading then the common is broke. If you still get no reading then the hot wire is broke. If this is the case then you will have to go down the line. Step 2 would be to do the same procedure at the panel. If you get nothing at the panel then it is the power inlet or cord. I am guessing you have already checked the cord and the outlet at the dock. It is possible that the power inlet on the boat has a problem. That is very easy to check. Just open the door and take out the 4 screws and inspect it. If it looks good then the problem is at the panel. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Jaubry - where is it?  Here is a pic of the back of my boat.  
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    jaubry, i hope it's that easy for me. i have a 250ec and my ac was not working this past weekend. i just bought the boat in april and was wondering what that weather proof box with the double breaker was for. i am making a fake a lake tomorrow so that i can check the air conditioning. first thing i am doing now is checking that breaker. my water pump, and fan were working but the compressor wasn't kicking on. i hope that breaker is off and that's what it is, i will find out tomorrow. thanks

well, after writing my post it was bugging me so i  went out and got into the boat to look. the double breaker that's in the weather proof box was on. guess that's not the cause for my ac not working. oh well, i tried.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Well, it was worth a try Duane!  I've seen someone in my marina have that same issue with that breaker as well.  FYI, that breaker is if you have any issues on the boat and need to leave it in an emergency, it is a quick way to remove power.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    JEB, I think Jaubry is talking about the isolation switches IF you have shore power on starboard. My boat has Shore Select - which means I can plug in where your boat has it on Port Side, and I can also plug in on the Starboard side right into my transom.

I don't think you have that. So I figure once your AC shorepower is plugged in and the breaker inside is turned on, you should have power. I would do exactly as explore7425 suggests. It's either a bad breaker or a bad wire, given that the AC runs when the generator is on and that you know the power supply lines both work on your house circuit.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark, Jaubry was talking about the emergency shutoff.  That is what would be behind a panel in the cockpit.  But, you are correct that he would not have the port/stbd selection if he does not have the "power choice".

• Options
    DI, yes main isolation = emergency shut off. We are both talking about the same thing.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    jaubryjaubry Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    You're both correct. It is the shut off. 
  • Options
    Mystery solved.  After spending $250 on an electrician.  

I checked the power supply coming into the boat and took the plug in unit on the side of the boat off and checked the wiring - confirmed power at plug in.  
    However, when I took the panel off, there was no power coming into the breaker for the AC.  I was not sure if I had a panel issue, junction box or something else.  So I called an electrician.

After several hours, we discovered that there was a snap together electrical conduit connector that is located under the bench seat - and in an impossible place to see or find.

We knew that there had to be a break in the wiring at that point.  But could not pull it in either direction - because we later found it was screwed to the subfloor.   

We pulled the subwoofer out on the speaker system under the bench seat which allowed us to see behind the wall a little bit.  There was a black snap together connector that was screwed to the subfloor.   We unscrewed it from the subfloor and pulled on the wire until we could get enough play in it to work on it.

It seems that the AC draw on shore power was too much for this connector - it gets hot here in the summer in the South.   So the white wire part of the connector melted just  enough to cause a small gap in the connector piece on one of the 3 wires- thus separating the snap connector on just one wire.  The width of the gap that was created was about the width of your fingernail.   It was so small that we had to really inspect it closely to see the melted portion.   That tiny gap allowed for power on the input side but no power from there to the breaker box.  

I will try to post a picture of it later.

Why Rinker decided not to run a solid wire between the plug in on the side of the boat and the breaker box is unclear.  It would have been much simpler to run a solid line between the two.  

Hopefully, if another reader has the same type issue, you won't have to hire an electrician to find it!  

We cut the line on both sides of the snap connector, removed it and reconnected the line with a crimp connector and manually crimped the lines back together.   AC works fine now.  And I am a little poorer and a little wiser!
  • Options
    I had a similar failure at my water heater. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I love this forum!  This thread saved me hiring an electrician.  I had no shore power when plugged in at the dock but everything was fine when running the generator.  Power was fine at the receptacle (where you connect the power to the boat) but nothing on the back side of the panel.  After seeing this thread I searched for a connector.  Mine was in the mid-berth area above the a/c unit.  I'm adding a pic to help anyone in the future.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    That sure makes your day when you can resolve an issue such as this!  This is what the forum is all about!! :)

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting, glad to know that something like that could be in the line and be an issue. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny, this is where I was going to suggest to look because these connectors can be a failure mode. I have removed 2 already, mains and hot water service as they can move around and even though they lock together, over the years of subtle movement they will create a hot spot, arc and fail. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/