Options

Generator backfires/sputters to a stop

summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
All,

this weekend my genny (Kohler 5E) started acting up.  it was tuned up this spring with an oil change, plugs, impeller and not sure what else. 
It runs fine for 2-3 minutes, good water flow out the side exhaust, and then it starts backfiring (popping sound) and stalls out.  the inline fuel filter looks fine and the gas in the bowl is clean.  Oil level seems correct.  Any ideas of what could be wrong?  just wondered if there was something I could easily check before calling the mechanic.

thanks
Craig

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Could clean the choke.  Did you take a look at the whole generator issues log?  Lots of good stuff there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I once had my genny tuned up and even though the plugs got changed that was the problem. Try new plugs again. Maybe they are gaped wrong 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Just had the same problem...changed the plugs, now its good
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • Options
    PierPressurePierPressure Member Posts: 4

Same symptoms here, after changing fuel filter and having carb cleaned, I changed the plugs and it worked like new 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure they used the correct plugs. If you go by the engine, they are wrong. Should be long nose type. Use the NGK plugs too. BP4ES I believe. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions!  I will check these out when I get back down there.  any suggestions of where to order the filters/plugs online?
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    The plugs you can get from advanced auto parts for $2.19 a piece.  Use part # 6928, they always seem to show out of stock with the NGK # but have them in stock with 6928#, its a the same plug just a label or stock # issue in their computer.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    The small inline filter before the fuel pump you can get online or most marine stores sell them as they really are just a universal part.  There are lots of manufactures that use the same design and just put their name on it.  Most people remove this filter and thread the barb fitting directly to the pump since its a pain to get to.  Only do that if you have another filter on the main line.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    @summerx , did you ever get the genny fixed?  Bring her down to the rendezvous this weekend and it will be our 'project'!  I'm sure we'll have it running in no time!  (BTW, you gonna make it this year?)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    sorry DI, just seeing this now.  I was in Branson Missouri last week, boating on Table Rock Lake.  If we were home, I would have come down and taken you up on the offer.  One of these years I am going to make it.  How was it?