Shore water connection connected to nothing

redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

so continuing to work on small fixes and familiarizing myself with all of the nooks an crannies of the boat.

I had planned to connect water to the boat from the dock this weekend. I understood that this connection bypasses the fresh water holding tank and if I understand correctly the pump is not needed.

I was in the motor compartment looking around and found this.  The top connection is the back side of the connector on the swim platform for the "shore water". 

Really glad I didn't connect it and just turn it on.

Why would this be in place and not be connected to anything?  What or where should it be connected?

2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it was disconnected because of freeze damage and never repaired.  In any case, it's risky to have that fixture with no markings.  Some well-meaning rookie dock-hand could hook up a hose and sink your boat.  
  • redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

yep

I could have done that.  where would that connect?  Anyone?

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to T the cold water line at any point along the system. There should be a check valve in the city connection to prevent water from flowing out when using the tank. The pipe is 1/2 inch PEX and the fittings are made by Flair-it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/110870715568?lpid=82&chn=ps

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!

thanks a lot!

I will look it over and see it a t is in place. 

if not I will try to figure out where that should be installed.  would I be correct that the pump does not need to operate when on city water?  it should feed into the system so as to feed the cold water but also the hot water tank?

• HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    That would be correct. Water pressure would be supplied by the water coming into the boat. No need for the water pump. 
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
    No place where I can see where it might have been connected.

• howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    If someone removed the hose for whatever reason, I guess he may have removed the "T" as well, so you can't tell where it was originally.  But anywhere downstream of the 12volt pump, even right at the outlet from the pump should work.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is likely a non-return (check) valve just after the pump. You want to be down-pipe of that to ensure water does not flow backwards through the pump and fill/overflow your water tank via the vent line.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

I am back on this problem now.  I want to get it fixed for this coming season.  So all the info was very helpful and I understand what I need to do.  My 330 has quite a bit of room in the motor compartment but the area where the fresh water tank, hot water tank and pump is pretty tight.  Most of the hoses that connect all of this are pretty short.  Really surprised the fitting and backflow device is not in place.  

Anyway.......if anyone with a 2008 or close 330 happens to be on your boat in the near future, would you take a pic of where the factory made the connection from the shore water input into the fresh water system, I would be forever in your debt.
    If someone removed the hose for whatever reason, I guess he may have removed the "T" as well, so you can't tell where it was originally.  But anywhere downstream of the 12volt pump, even right at the outlet from the pump should work.
    As long as it's after the check valve otherwise it will just leak through the puml and fill the fresh water tank until it overflows. Find the check valve. The only reason it is there is for that shore water line.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

I only get my boat in the water in 1 month. You don't need a picture  of a 330. All the boats feature the exact same setup. So if anyone can give you a picture it will work.

However anywherr between the pump and the first cold water tee off to a user will work.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    This might be a good place to add this tid-bit.  You should purchase a pressure regulator that goes in line with the water hose.  They are available from West Marine.  They regulate the pressure down to 40 psi.  Takes a lot of strain away from the boat's plumbing.  
    Thanks for the feedback.  I have not found a check valve in the system yet.  That's why this is puzzling to me.  I don't see any indication that the connection from the input on the swim platform was ever installed.  I will make sure and order pressure regulator.  Thanks.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    The check valve is in the "fresh water pump". 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Really?  I wondered about that possibility. 
  • sixpacksummersixpacksummer Member Posts: 43
    An owner at our marina did not have a water regulator, left his water on and left the boat for several hours. Fitting in the boat broke due to high water pressure and sunk the boat before he returned. The water regulator would be at the top of the list.
    That would suck.  
    I am really glad I noticed that hose missing.  I was ready to connect a hose ans turn it on.
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    The (jabsco) city water connection on my boat I replaced last year because it was leaking purchased same Oem one because it has a 35psi regulator built in it all others where much higher psi. Fresh water pump on boat is also rated for 35 psi.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

I believe this is the part Tony is talking about, as you can see,  I always carry a spare. LOL .....I find this the best unit as it has a lower pressure cut-off than many others (often at 55 or 65 psi) but still has more than enough pressure at 45 psi.

I have found the flair-it connections leaked when first new (better for Rinker to have under tightened them than to crack them -  and as we always say on here, its the owners' responsibility to check the fittings regularly anyway) - so I tightened them VERY CAREFULLY by placing an old face cloth over them and using a plumber's wrench. End of leaks.

BTW if I'm away from the boat for more than an hour I remove the hose from the transom fitting - just because.

Post edited by Michael T on
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Really?  I wondered about that possibility. 
    Yes and sometimes you have to take them apart and clean them if you hear the pump "short cycle" or if the holding tank fill while on shore water.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com