Options

Repowering 99 270 Fiesta Vee

rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
My 5.7 lost head and gasket.  It was underpowered with a 260HP 5.7.  Any thoughts on how to best repower.  The 383 Stroker looks to be the simplest solution but wanted to get perspective from the great marine minds here.  Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    The most powerful fuel injected small block gasoline marine engine you can afford. Diesel, forgetaboutit.

Andy
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either the 383 or the 377. The 377 is 320 hp. Both are small blocks which would fit well.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    find a reputable engine builder in your area and have him make your 350 a 383. probably a heck of a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    I am all in on this, apparently.  Dropping a new 383 stroker in her, keeping the 5.7 around w a for sale sign on it.  Winter will have it rebuilt as a back up or swap it back in when I sell.  Take the stroker with me to the next tub.
  • Options
    Volvo Penta offers a 430HP 6.0L small block that would bolt right up to my Ocean X. I just need to break out another $25K, that's all. :smiley: 

Andy

• Options

She's in and it's entirely a new boat.  383 stroker 350 HP puts me on plane in 3-4 seconds.  The 260 HP was tired and underpowered for my 270.
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, congrats.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    What kind of flame arrestor do you have on that bad boy? K&N?

Andy
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Sweet. ....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    blaubatublaubatu Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    were did you purchase the stroker.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

I used the block from my 350 magnum and turned it into a 390 HP 383. The engine builder gave me credit for some of the parts from my 350 Mag which helped. If I were going to "stroke" (change the stroke and therefore essentially the cubic inches) of a 350 I'd go the extra distance and make it a 383. My 383 pulled straight up the X/Y power axis all the way from 0 to WOT. Get the 383 you will love it. HUGE bottom end torque. It will completely change your boat's performance and usefulness not to mention the FUN you will have with your "new" boat. Where can you purchase one? - in Germany I'm not sure.  They are easy to buy in North America but I would think that any decent engine builder in Germany could order the parts and use your old block to build you a 383 or you could order a complete 383 from North America and have it shipped to you. I think it would be far cheaper to have the engine built in Germany. For information you can "google" 383 and a list of manufacturers should pop-up.

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    My marina ordered it from Mercruiser.  3 yr warranty.  I am now repairing my old motor as a back up or to sell.  This 383 made it an entirely new boat, second best investment I made to the boat.  First was an aftermarket swim platform.  That's because it doesn't need fuel to be used.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    If I were buying or having a 383 built for me I wouldn't go much  over 390 HP. You can get great (powerful AND reliable) 383 rebuilds from 350 HP to 400HP. You can also get them with far more HP BUT I have found that after 390 HP they are a lot more expensive to build , many MUST run on 91 octane and they get harder to handle when docking. A 383 with 350 HP +/-  a bit will run on 87. My 390HP needed 91. The 400Hp 383 crate motors all need (as far as I know) 91 octane. Hope this helps. Opinions aside I am 100%  with @rinker270nb. Putting a 383 in your boat will make an amazing difference! You'll love it :-)
  • Options
    blaubatublaubatu Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    @ Michael T:

I have a 5.0 GXI from VP. This one is too week for the 260 EC. In Germany the 383 are too expensive, cheaper to get them from the US. Was also looking for the new VP 380, arround 25.000 USD in Germany.

Have an offer from the US (nautica marine service) for a 383 Stroker with the following description:

MERCRUISER 383 Stroker MPI 6.0L   350HP@5200RPM     EUR   9,525

Hi Tek Manifold Set mounted - actual measurements (High) of existing manifold w/ riser required     EUR 2,100

Fresh Water cooling mounted on engine    EUR 1150

Ocean shipping to European port    EUR 350 - 450

My drive is a new VP Duoprop, which I have to adjust if using the Mercruiser 383.

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    My marina ordered it from Mercruiser.  3 yr warranty.  I am now repairing my old motor as a back up or to sell.  This 383 made it an entirely new boat, second best investment I made to the boat.  First was an aftermarket swim platform.  That's because it doesn't need fuel to be used.
    Nice!! What tuning if any did you have to do? Or was this a complete drop in?
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    This was a complete drop in.  New engine with "tins" included (oil pan, etc.) No problems with the swap.  I have 22 pitch props and they work well as the boat is heavy, haven't felt that I am maxing out rpms.  New data that can be read is pretty cool.  May add on the specialty gauge.
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't the internals (cranks, rods, pistons) be the same in these marine engines, as in the car motors? Obviously you have to choose the correct piston to keep the compression where you want it, but basically the same parts? I've built many automotive engines, with the latest being a 408W (stroked 351W) for my rustang, using a stock block and a few choice parts, and it run 9.62@140 in the 1/4, versus the blistering stock 15 second times...lol

basically what I'm getting at, is there's a lot to be said for a drop in crate engine, with a warranty, but given that the internals are nothing special, I could turn my 350 Mag into a 383 for a few thousand dollars. Personally, that'd be the best option if I were looking for a 383. 
  • Options
    Yes, you can easily stroke your 350 if you have the tools and know how. The engines are essentially the same except when we built my 383 we used marine gaskets and I only used it in fresh water. For salt water I have been told that marine quality gaskets are essential. As well, all of the electricals have to be USCG rated ignition spark proof. We did use cnc machinery to polish and flow the heads and set and re-set the block and heads but all of it is self doable. For those who can not do it themselves there are a number of great engine building manufacturers of which Mercury stands out who build marinized engines for decent prices (decent in my opinion that is).