Options

Holes in topside

My_Dinghys_DinghyMy_Dinghys_Dinghy Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
I have been working my butt off on my boat. I have a TON of holes where they just drilled, put something on and then pulled it off the boat.
What does anyone use to fill those holes? Need to fix those little problems.
Boat is about ready for water and I will post the before and after pics when I have the cockpit area done. IF YOU ARE DOING A PROJECT and redoing interior through Veada, ORDER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I ordered 8 weeks ago and they are telling me another 4. (We go on vacation in 4 weeks, going to be very disappointed if those seats are here by then.)
Doing a 25 year old Project Boat after a 35 year hiatus from boat ownership.
Catch us on Kelley's Island at the Seaway or Portside Marina or Middle Bass at the State Park Marina MOST SUNDAYS and weekends in July! Call My Dinghy on Channel 16.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they old snap screw holes?  Don't use silicone products at all to seal them. Ideally you would fill with gel coat. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Evercoat makes a gelcoat repair product that is suitable for smaller holes. TACO brand marine lumber, actually plastic, sold at WestMarine in 12" X 12" X 1/4" white sheets at $19 is good for covering large holes. Like an old hole for a speaker you've moved for example. Not in the hull itself, of course.

Andy
  • Options
    My_Dinghys_DinghyMy_Dinghys_Dinghy Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Yeah, they used silicone in it and it leaked all over. Think maybe that was part of the problem with all of the rot on the boat. They used silicone for the horn wire and then on the sides where they had plenty of holes. THANK YOU for the great advice. Maybe will do the top side gel coat this year as I go. Who cares if it's 6 different colors this year, I'll paint it all white next year.
    Doing a 25 year old Project Boat after a 35 year hiatus from boat ownership.
    Catch us on Kelley's Island at the Seaway or Portside Marina or Middle Bass at the State Park Marina MOST SUNDAYS and weekends in July! Call My Dinghy on Channel 16.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You caN fill with 3M 4200 for non permanent or 5200 for permanent fills.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"