Options

For Sale: 1999 5.7 260 HP Engine- Blown head gasket

rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
For Sale: 5.7 260 HP Motor- blown gasket, two valves with zero pressure, others 160.  Out of 1999 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee.  Located in Northwest Suburbs of Chicago.  Asking $2000.

Engine still in boat has a blown head gasket, available to be seen and heard. Zero compression on two and three, 160 on others. 1999 Rinker in clean, putting a new engine in it. Unsure on hours, clean condition, probably 500+, 260 HP, fuel injected. Am told it's worth $2,500. 

Reply with questions. Engine will be pulled week of 6/22.

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can it be worth that much if it has all those issues?

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Needs a full rebuild at a minimum, excluding potential head issues. Unless you do it yourself you'll dump well over $1k into it. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Marina service dept said it was worth $2k.  There are none on Craig's list, tells me supply is low.  I am putting a for sale sign on it, probably not repairing it.  Makes me think its a supply and demand issue.  We will see.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two and three are across the valley from each other.   It would be strange, that to happen, but not impossible.

They're also the less likely to lean out on a carb'd engine, making conditions right to blow gaskets. 

Have you personally pulled the valve covers?  My initial thought is broken valve springs and/or retainers, broken push rods, or totally collapsed lifters.  The type of collapse that takes out a camshaft. Suspect of this because that area of the heads struggles for oil flow more than others. 
  • Options
    They aren't across, sorry.  Number 2&3 starboard from front to back.

Yes, fuel injection and manifolds.  Is my understanding as its a full swap for repower to a 383.
  • Options
    I pointed out my oversight in another post.  Journalism major, sorry about that ;). 2nd and 3rd on starboard side are amiss.