Options

Waeco CR 110 Refrigerator

The cabin refrigerator is not working.  The green light is on and the interior light is on but no cooling or sounds.  The marina suggested a repairman but he only does marine refrigeration, not refrigerators.  Suggested that it is less expensive to replace than repair.  That goes against my grain as I don't want to replace it without knowing what's wrong with it in case it is a simple repair.  It's built-in and I have no idea how to get to the condenser to clean it.  Do I just have a regular refrigerator person look at it?  Or does anyone know anyone in the Mamaroneck, NY area who services these refrigerators? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Find out make and model. Find a number for the fabricator on the Internet.  Call them and they will recommend a local service company that knows those refrigerators. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dometic owns Waeco.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    njscapnjscap Member Posts: 20
    I have been searching the internet quite a bit.  Most Waeco information seems to be UK or AU.  Locally I have found 2 names in Long Island for Waeco distributors.  I think I got that from a Dometic website.  Called today and waiting for a response but not optimistic that they will have someone in my area.  At the marina, they tell me no one fixes these - just replace. Not giving up yet.  Next I think I will look for someone who fixes Norcold or Isotherm or another brand who maybe can look at this.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you capable of pulling the fridge out? Its only a few screws and it slides out. In the back will be the control module that needs to be replaced more than likley. 
  • Options
    Any repairman can diagnose whats wrong with it and tell you what part you need. Whether its available or not is another question. 
  • Options
    I think we will try that.  Just found an RV place that said they would look at it if we could get it out.  Will post update.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Not cheap, but defender.com has it. Just can't link it...

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Greg, your other link wont work either.
  • Options
    That stinks...
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    There are decent replacements that will fit but still trying to find out what's wrong with it before going that route.  I heard back from Dometic customer service who is trying to find someone for us.  
  • Options
    Thought you were going to the RV place?
  • Options
    If I can't get someone to look at it will try to get it out and bring it to the RV place.  
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I would just take it to RV place should be able to get back quick
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    How old is it? 
    I would likely just replace it.
    By the time you pull it and have it fixed summer will be over. 

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    That is true. This has gone on the back burner. Will update if/when we fix it or replace it. 
  • Options
    planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Next to the green light there should be a red light which will flash if there is a fault. The number of times the red light flashes determines the fault. For example if it flashes once then it's a low voltage fault. Mine won't run if the batteries get below 12v, the interior light will still run and the green light will stay on but the fan and compressor wont run. Let me know how many times your red light flashes and I'll tell you the fault.
  • Options
    UPDATE:  Over the weekend I met up with an old family friend who had a home appliance business basically all of my life and retired years ago.  I told him the woes of the Waeco and asked if he knew anyone in the area who might be able to look at it.  He offered to come out himself just to see if it might be something simple and accessible like the thermostat.  Today, he came by with his toolkit.  Looked at the refrigerator. He said, "First thing I'm going to do is whack it."  Huh? "Yes, I'm going to hit it."  He said that sometimes the connections around the thermostat become loose.  So he took the butt of his drill and whacked the thermostat one time.  Not too hard.  The refrigerator began to make noise.  And it began to cool.  

While we were at it, he decided to unscrew the 6 screws holding the refrigerator in place and it practically popped itself out.  Surprisingly easy.  (There were no screws at all inside the refrigerator where the 4 screws should be so he removed the 6 screws on the doorframe).  That did not result in any other discoveries regarding the workings of the refrigerator but he could see that things were warming up in the back that should be warming up.

planesailing, regarding the red light:  Even though the refrigerator was making noise, fairly quiet but a running noise, the red fault light was flashing.  I wish I could tell you the number of flashes.  I tried to count but really couldn't get it - they seemed to vary.  I thought it might be 1 but also could be 2 or 3, nothing higher.  After we took the refrigerator out, eventually the red light went off.  I think that 1 flash was something to do with voltage but we didn't know how to check that.  He did check something with the amps and noted that it was pulling little power (as a good thing).   We also tried shore power and battery power.  I don't think it did any better on shore power than it did on battery power. If you have any ideas on that I would appreciate your thoughts.

My friend thought that the compressor was recycling or running short cycles or cycling on and off or something like that.  I don't remember the exact phrase.  In any case, we left it on as it seemed to be cooling.  I will go back tomorrow night and see whether it is still actually running and will update.  Fingers crossed.
  • Options
  • Options
    These may help
  • Options
    hanzelvhhanzelvh Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    some other tip: the fridge need power, excisting of voltage and amps.
    when working at 12 volts, it needs approx 3 amps (and during start more), which could cause voltage drop and lead to false start which will lead to turn of and results in 3 flashes.
    I had same and solved with installing DC-DC 12 to 24 volts converter from Victron.
    Put fridge on 24 volts and no problem any more.
    previous 280EC with VP D4-260, now Bavaria 33HT with twin VP 4,3
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll keep the chart and ideas for next time. For now the ice cubes are frozen, the wine is chilling and we are back in business.