Port motor would not start

redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
good Father's Day on the lake.  Spent a few hours tied up with friends.  Ran my generator and had batt charger turned on.  Also had stereo running during this time.  Ignition for port motor in acc mode for stereo operation.  Went to leave and port motor acted like batt was low or close to dead.  I figured gen would keep this from happening.  Starboard motor started and ran fine.  
Did I miss something?  Was I wrong expecting gen to keep all batts good?
2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a bad battery. How old is it?  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    Well I dont know how old the batt is since I have only owned the boat two months.  I got it back slow on one motor.  I wasn't too far out from marina.  Connected shore power and ran back by the boat today and motor started fine.  Would batt not charge maybe when ignition is in acc mode?
    Yes, I powered up 120 v panel. Turned on batt charger and had the ac fan running in cabin.
    also refrigerators and ice maker.

I had the same experience yesterday.  generator on, generator selected, main power on and battery charger switched on.  key in acc mode listening to stereo. 

I was able to select emergency mode and get the motor started.  sat and let it run for a few min and then disengaged emergency start mode.  it charged and all seemed to go back to normal. 

Just a bit confused as to what I should expect with regard to charging.  maybe having the key off the batteries charge?  Maybe when in acc mode the one side will not charge? 

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The charger should run independently of the key position. Maybe something went wrong with the charger? Next time can you open the engine compartment and look at the LCD screen on the charger to see of there are any errors. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"