Options

Gas Tank

Hello, we are new to this forum and Rinker boats, but reading sounds like a big issue with their fuel tanks. We just bought an 03 fiesta vee 270 and has fuel tank problem, can anyone suggest where to find a new tank? Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that you just get a new one made.
  • Options
    rinkerfueltanksucks1rinkerfueltanksucks1 Member Posts: 18
    Thank you my husband is a welder and was thinking of fabricating one, but no time lol, but we've been having issues even getting the specs on the existing factory tank to locate one, but thank you for your comment.
  • Options
    There was no specs. Andy a guy on here from California just had his replaced. They measured the area and made a nice new one. Use a little thicker aluminum. They had to remove the engine, cut the fiberglass wall. Big job. 
  • Options
    Yea, we are bummed, because we just sold our 1978 Trojan F36 after 13 years with no problems, and bought this one and within one month had issues. We were thinking a stainless steel tank.
  • Options
    I think I read one that took him 3 years to do.  :'(
  • Options
    Stainless is good too. I had a 76 F32 Trojan. Nice big boat. Ate too much fuel but had new tanks!
  • Options
    Lol yea we sold, because we go to Key West Florida every year and couldn't afford to navigate down there $15k in fuel one way. Umm don't think so.
  • Options
    We re done a 1971 f-31 was awesome
  • Options
    That is why I am moving to Ft Myers ASAP  :) With the range I have with my boat I can make it there and back on a half tank. 
  • Options
    Ft.Myers nice we were there 2 years ago. We are looking for a houseboat to leave docked in Key West City marina and keep Rinker for up here near Maryland
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    What is wrong with your tank, leaking I assume?
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice screen name. Florida Marine Tanks should have been the OEM supplier of the tank. Rinker just installs them.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    What is the problem with the tank? A leak obviously requires replacement. You then take the old tank to a competent fabricator and have them build you a new one. Engine/drive removal and fabrication are the easy jobs. Removing the old tank on my FV250 was the challenge, and I believe the 270 presents the same level of difficulty. Good luck.

Andy
  • Options
    Weber said:
    What is wrong with your tank, leaking I assume?
    Yes, it is leaking
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there has to be an easier way to replace these tanks- a way to possibly cut the tank in pieces as you remove it.....and then someway to slide a replacement, maybe a little smaller or even a bladder replacement. It seems inevitable for all boats at some point to have a tank replaced and it amazes me they are not designed with the idea of being replaced a little easier....
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    My 2013 has a plastic tank, so maybe this is why they went that direction. My engine would def need to come out for removal, but maybe no cutting. 
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have looked at my 270 which is an 05.....it looks like if I pulled my genny, I would be able to cut back the "cover" over the tank and pull it right out- maybe mine has been replaced and that's a fix for pulling it again in the future...but I don't know how long it is.....sure seems like I could get it out. A plastic one would flex some and maybe slip in...here's to not ever having to find out!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Before I replaced my tank I did talk to the owner at this company in Washington State who claims to successfully fix marine tanks in situ:

http://www.felixmarine.net/article-sealing-fuel-tanks.html

This process is unique to this company and nobody in CA offers it, so a new tank was my only way to go. In any event, I think I have better peace of mind with the new tank.

Andy
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Hello rinkerfueltanksucks1.  Why do you say that Rinker has "a big issue" with fuel tanks?  The overwhelming experience of this forum suggests otherwise.  

We're happy to answer questions, and any boater can understand having problems with a 13-year-old boat, but here's a suggestion:  lose the attitude.  
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Often time when a tank fails its because a more noble metal makes contact with the tank and the tank corroded via a galvanic reaction. For instance when a stainless bolt drops into the tank. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Exactly Al. And put a more noble metal in contact with the aluminum, and you have a great galvanic reaction.  The ground is so important for aluminum tanks.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thank you for all your comments, when we get time from work we are gonna tackle pulling it out and my husband is a welder and is going to fabricate with stainless steel 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Hello rinkerfueltanksucks1.  Why do you say that Rinker has "a big issue" with fuel tanks?  The overwhelming experience of this forum suggests otherwise.  

We're happy to answer questions, and any boater can understand having problems with a 13-year-old boat, but here's a suggestion:  lose the attitude.  

• Options
    LaRea said:

• Options
    Excuse me I don't have an attitude. We just sold our 37 year old boat with no problems for 13 years to our Rinker which we love other than poor design of fuel tanks by many people.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Right.  With that username, you don't have an attitude.  
  • Options
    Thank you alswagg. No, we did not we bought it in the winter and next day trailered down to Florida. We did take on sea trial,but did not smell the bad fuel odor til in water down there. Yes,fuel tank replacement sucks.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I think blaming Rinker for the gas tank having an issue would be like blaming them for a bad motor.  Seems to me the problem is with the company who made the gas tank.  I had a 97 FV 280 with a pair of aluminum tanks that laid on the bottom of the bilge and they were rock solid.  

If the leak is as bad as you say I'd think the seller knew about.  And the surveyor should have found it.  There is a slim, unlikely chance the tank failed after you transported it.  Think something loose in the bilge.

Hope you are able to get the problem resolved.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge, I'm going to go one step further than that. The gas tank needs to be taken care of just like the engine. You can't blame Rinker or the manufacturer if the proper care wasn't taken. You can only blame the previous owner.

So if that ground was cut, or in poor contact, and galvanic corrosion started, you cannot blame anyone but the user.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Has to be the ethanol