Options

Kohler 5kw Generator Maintenance

I have a 2004 270 FV and can't find my manual for the generator.  Does anyone know what model Kohler 5kw generator is in the 2004 270 FV?  Maybe the sparkplug model #, fuel filter and oil filter?  I am doing most of maintenance myself now and I think my old mechanic kept my manual. 

2004 270 Fiesta Vee, 496 Mag

Comments

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    It should be the 5E model.

The manuals are in the generator section.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    trickyrickytrickyricky Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Thanks Weber...that was exactly what I was looking for.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look in the generator section.  I posted the manuals for the 5e.

Get rid of the fuel filter that is at the inlet to the fuel pump, just use an in-line one.

Spark plugs: NGK BPR-4ES
    Oil filter: WIX 51394XP

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks BD

• Options

For those of you who have had issues starting a 5E generator after some time of no use, there is an easy fix that was brought to my attention by a very nice mechanic who did not charge me to come out and fix it but walked me through it over the phone.  There is a small plunger type device at the bottom of the carb bowl with a wire connected to it.  You will have to unscrew it from the carb and clean the needle plunger with carb cleaner and once complete, your generator should start right up.

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    That's the anti-dieseling solenoid, common problem of it getting gummed up.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are prone to failure too.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick question on 5E maintenance. How often are you guys changing your impeller and anode? I do oil & filter every fall. I do plugs every spring since I've read so much on how these genrators eat plugs. My thought on the anode was just to replace it when it gets past 50% used which should be 3 - 4 seasons and I was assuming that the impeller should last two seasons. I took mine out after 1 season and it still looked new. What do you do? Thanks,
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Yep, I do the same.  Replace anode when 50% gone and impeller every two years.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks!

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    Yep, I do the same.  Replace anode when 50% gone and impeller every two years.
    Do you mean the impeller inside the engine or the one in the fresh water pump outside the engine?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Freshwater pump on side of engine. Not the internal coolant water pump. 

• Options
    And does anybody have a part number for the Kohler 5E anode?

• Options
  • Options
    That's zinc.  I need the same thing in magnesium since we're in fresh water.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Ahh, I've never seen anything but these zinc anodes so thats all I use for the genny. If you find a magnesium anode for the genset please send along. I use mag for the drives and tabs. 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you replace the water impeller, replace the coupler behind it while your there...
  • Options
    Agree, did this last spring but it seemed like something to do maybe every 4 years or so. Not sure the coupler needs done with every impeller change? My first coupler lasted 10 years and 220 hours 

• Options
    Yes, the coupler should last a lot longer than the impeller.  I actually need to change mine out this year since it is actually original (I carry several spares since someone on here mentioned it years ago - & they came in handy saving someone's day at Rinkervous 2 years ago! :) )

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you pull the pump for the impeller, the coupler is right behind it costs like 5 bucks? Why would you not change it? When I changed my impeller the first time, mine was working too- when I fired up my generator at the house to test for leaks, it took out the coupler. Lessoned learned by me,....just sayin....
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    When you pull the pump for the impeller, the coupler is right behind it costs like 5 bucks? Why would you not change it? When I changed my impeller the first time, mine was working too- when I fired up my generator at the house to test for leaks, it took out the coupler. Lessoned learned by me,....just sayin....

Ras, actually it's less than a dollar!  Not sure why I hadn't changed it.  I think it's just a matter of remembering.  Honestly, I've not even looked at where it is, but I know others say it is right behind the impeller.