Options

Gotta Love a Thief...NOT

Finally felt I was coming to the end of issues with my 262!  It's in a reputable shop in Portland OR. having the engine and drive removed so the transom assembly can be replaced, which will take care of the long list of unexpected issues I've had since purchasing the boat, and what happens....?  I get a call yesterday from the shop owner saying some scum had dug a huge hole under his double electric fence and ransacked 15 boats...one of which is mine.  Apparently they were just after electronics and audio equipment.  Sad thing is, I had just finished completely going through my audio system two weeks ago and installed all new high end speakers, JL Audio 8 channel amp, JL Audio sub amp, new 10" sub, new Kenwood head unit etc etc.  Unbeleivable!  I absolutly disdain thiefs!

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got insurance?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the yards insurance/company needs to step up on this.

Go look on CraigsList or ebay, you might find your stuff forsale on there.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    That sucks sorry to hear that.

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• Options
    CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Not good at all.  Let's hope the thief gets his/her share of bad luck!

"Pipe Dream"
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

• Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭

In the automotive world, if the car is inside the shop it's the shops responsibility. But, if its outside it’s the owner responsibility. Don’t know about marina insurance.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Double electric fence?  The boat was definitely under the yard's control, so the loss is theirs, not yours.  But maybe you should report it to your insurance and let them deal with the other guy.  It shouldn't affect your rate, and your insurer can probably give you approval right away to start repairs.  

No matter what, it'll still be a huge hassle for you -- sorry for that!  The claim should cover not just parts, but also professional installation plus repairs of any incidental damage.  
  • Options
    EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Insurance is still up in the air. The shop owner says his insurance probably won't cover my boat because he had taken reasonable precautions for security. From the pictures he sent me it looks like my boat was inside his shop when the theft occurred, so I don't know how that may play into the equation. My insurance says they may not pay because the equipment might be considered as "portable".   I'm  not sure how they can say that since the equipment was installed on a board that was mounted to the inner wall behind a panel that had to be removed by 10 screws in order to access or even see it.  The Sub was mounted in the panel behind the captains seat.   The only thing that might have actually been portable was the GPS/plotter which had been removed from its  permanent mount and the stowed in a cabinet.  I think there's a lot of negotiating yet to be done with the insurance companies. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I had an issue with insurance, what my boat insurance didn't cover, my homeowners did. Something to look at, but I think the shop should cover it. Sorry to hear about the setback. This will get better!!! Keep the faith!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That shop should be fully responsible either through his insurance or his own pocket.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    The shop owner should compensate for your loss with his insurance or out of his pocket. If the shop owner gives you the runaround and won't compensate you take him to small claims court. Not sure about WA, but in CA you can recover up to $10K. The problem with going the insurance claim route with your own carrier is the deductible on smaller dollar losses.

Andy
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately and sorry, AL is right.  Does the shop have cameras?  Was this on Hayden island?  

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    A reputable repair shop will have coverage for vessels under its custody and control. Not in your slip of course, but physically in their possession. When you leave your property with others you create what in legal terms is called a bailment. They have the responsibility to exercise "ordinary care" of your property and return it to you undamaged. They try to get around any liabilities for theft and damage by incorporating a waiver in the repair order you sign when you leave your vehicle/vessel for repair or putting up a sign. Never sign a repair order that includes that waiver, strike it out if it does. The sign on the wall is of marginal value in court. If you do sign, you still may win, but it may be more difficult depending on the judge and his/her experience with repair shops.

Andy
  • Options
    blutobluto Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Ezgoin,  Who is your insurance carrier ? ( so I know not to use them) Portable???
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Your insurance should cover your loss, the shops insurance won't. Sounds like they try hard to keep those SOB thieves out (two electric fence). Bottom line is hopefully they catch them and draw and quarter them. I HATE a thieve just Hate em!!!!! Good luck to you 
  • Options
    EzgoinEzgoin Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    My insurance is Mutual of Enumclaw, and they have stepped up and agreed to pay the claim, less the $500 deductable of course.  The only question at this point is the GPS/Plotter that was removed from its bracket and stowed in the cabinet, but my adjuster seems like he's figuring a way to make good on that too.
    I did sign a work order, and, as is typical, didn't spend an hour reading the small print, but apparently there is a release of responsibility in there somewhere.  The shop owner (Pacific Power Boats in Portland OR.) seems like a real nice guy and feels genuinely bad about the situation.  He has offered to do some additional work on the boat and not charge me for the labor...of course that could be all smoke and mirrors, but it's something.

The shop owner said there is a group of vagrants living in tents and trailers down the road from the shop and he'd bet money that's where the equipment all went, but the cops have been directed not to distrub the group to investigate because of the high racial tensions in the country right now.  Portland is afraid of race riots.  Looks like the tail is in deed wagging the dog in Portland!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is unbelievable!!!!!!!!! What is this country doing? 
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the shop owner does feel bad, theft is not good for any business. Sounds like your insurance is working for you and not against you. The police not so much
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Alswagg said:
    Why should the shop owner be responsible?   If your boat was at a marina slip do you think the marina would be responsible?  

Because you lease your slip. So you are responsible for taking care of the contents docked within the slip.

A shop should ensure goods under its possession are secure, and I would think they should also have insurance to cover if something does happen. I agree that your own boat insurance should have coverage for this as well, but be careful with that as most times you probably need to notify them of your boats movements. 

Al, why wouldn't your insurance cover theft while in your premises? Is it coverage that you chose not to take out, or is it just not available? Are you saying if your facility burns down (God forbid) and damages boats there, your insurance won't cover)?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there isn't a 'hold harmless' agreement signed or witnessed, the shop is on the hook... That simple.   Falls with 'Reasonable expectations of security while in their custody'...  sounds like the dude needs at a minimum of three wire fences.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    If I rent a 2 bedroom apartment and someone breaks in and steals everything you guys are telling the home owner who rented it to me will cover? Same thing right? 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not even close.  Rent/lease relieves that burden.   Trusting someone has character and business integrity enough to protect the property or at least cover it's repair while it's in their possession is totally different.   If there was a hold harmless, then so be it, the property owner waived protection... I wouldn't take anything of value to a place that tried to get me to sign one.. it tells me all I need to know about them. 

Better example than a apartment rental:  watch repair.. you take it to a watch repairman, and it's stolen... So sorry? Or, replace it?  That's a hella lot closer than a lease/rental agreement.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Obviously I was being facetious about the apartment. However my insurance has in water coverage and winter storage coverage? Why would I need both if the marina that stores my boat has coverage. This is the same marina that does my repair service if I cant do it myself? Look if something happened to my boat no matter where it is I would just have my insurance cover it. I would not expect any marina to cover it.... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    If I rent a 2 bedroom apartment and someone breaks in and steals everything you guys are telling the home owner who rented it to me will cover? Same thing right? 

Nope, not even close. The boat owner does not rent the mechanics facilities. When you rent or lease something, the risk transfers to the user. You are now responsible to ensure security.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3 said:
    Obviously I was being facetious about the apartment. However my insurance has in water coverage and winter storage coverage? Why would I need both if the marina that stores my boat has coverage. This is the same marina that does my repair service if I cant do it myself? Look if something happened to my boat no matter where it is I would just have my insurance cover it. I would not expect any marina to cover it.... 

Ray, that's where you need to be careful. At a marina during summer is normal. In winter storage during winter is normal. In a mechanic's shop during summer is possible, but not normal. Some insurance companies may require you to disclose the boat is out of water, at a mechanics shop, and they may ask for clarity on the security measures taken to ensure the boat cannot be stolen/broken into. This may impact the premium.

I can tell you, if an insurance company can find a way out of something, most will (not all, I've heard some good stories to).

"Boat + Water = Fun"