Options

cabin switch panel no power

ClintonClinton Member Posts: 44 ✭✭

Hey, just purchased a 2000 rinker 242 fiesta vee w/5.0 mercruiser. Everything on the boat seems to work except the cabin switch panel (a/c, range/ outlet/ microwave/ etc.) I am just unsure if I haven't switched something on to get power to it. I have tried putting battery switch to 1,2, and both with no success. This is my first boat of this size. Just need help in understanding if it's something I am missing or if there is actually something wrong and I got hosed on the boat. Boat runs amazing otherwise. Thanks in advance to anyone who pitches in on this issue for me.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options

So I can't have my a/c or stove, etc. while I'm underway. That's really annoying. That was half the reason why I purchased this type of boat for those conveniences. They should have told me that at the dealership. I'm very aggravated now. 

• Options
    Ok, lots of great info. Yes jc290, I really do like the layout of the boat and everything does work. I did get the panel to work from shore hook ups. Is there a way to mount a portable gen in the engine compartment?  I'd rather have it there then on swim platform. Everyone has been really helpful. Thanks tons. Looking forward to my first weekend in it on the July 4th weekend. 
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    The engine room on that model is pretty tight. Exhaust would have to be plumbed outside of it and so on easy way would be keep it stowed under year seat and use on swim platform 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think someone was able to find a way to put a small Honda generator under the back bench seat, or in the transom locker. Search the posts.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    in the engine room you'd have to worry about ignition/spark proof and the CO.  The small Honda or Yamaha ones are extremely quiet and, if used correctly, will work as you need it to.  Just make sure to have good CO detectors (with digital readout) on board.  The good news is those generators hold their value & easily resellable to the boating world.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options

Thanks everyone, lots of great ideas.

• Options

Hey guys, when I do hook up the shore power does that charge my batteries also?

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    You most likely have to switch the battery charger on at the power panel.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options

power panel on boat or shore? I didn't see a switch to charge batteries on boat but then again I haven't found a lot of things yet. Still getting to know my boat.

• Options
    On the shore panel box bottom right side it's labeled battery charger
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Just copying what I said in the other thread -- do not operate a portable generator in the engine room of a gas-powered boat.  They are not ignition-protected.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clinton said:

Hey guys, when I do hook up the shore power does that charge my batteries also?

Yes, as long as you have the batter breaker set to "on".  The switch should be in your cabin, where all the other 110V switches are.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    make sure you turn on the shore power breaker also 
  • Options
    Thanks. Really is a lot to learn about this large of a vessel. Everyone has been extremely helpful.
  • Options
    We've all been there this is a support group for boataholics lol