Options

Considering upgrading 260/280 EC

After introducing myself on the forum many of you said you have upgraded boats at least once if not more. So again looking to everyone on here for some guidance. First, we love our 230 EC, we got a great deal on it and other than just a few very minor problems it is treating us well and I'm very pleased with the Rinker brand. So now to my dilemma, my wife and I have been discussing upgrading boats recently and I think I finally have her convinced. I apologize that this will be a little long winded but want everyone to know our situation. Some of the reasons for moving up while its just two of us the V-berth in the 230 is still a little cramped, we overnight almost every weekend we are at the lake usually anchor up in a favorite cove. I want a generator boat, and one with a mid-berth so we don't have to make the bed every night we are out would be a lot easier. Onto one of the biggest reasons, hopefully out time in New Mexico is limited and within a year or two we will be moving down to Hurlburt Field in Fort Walton Beach, FL. When we finally get down to FL I am wanting to do trips from FWB to New Orleans, and eventually all the way down to the Keys.

Why we need to keep it at 260/280 is because the current storage unit I have that is less than 5 minutes from the ramp is only 40 feet long, and yes I would want to find a boat with a trailer. They are slips available, but no shore power and at almost double the cost I don't see it being worth changing to a slip at all. We are looking at around the 08-10 models, we don't have any kids and aren't planning any for at least another 4-5 years.

Would like to hear all the pros and cons from former and current 260 and 280 owners.

Thanks again.

Joe

2007 230 ECC 350 Mag MPI Alpha 1

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I love our 280EC. We moved up from a 232cc last summer and are glad that we did. The 260 and 280 are very similar, but the 280 is longer and is 7 inches wider. It might not sound like much, but it is a big difference. The aft cabin is a little longer, and the V-berth has a touch more room. We added a little one to the mix this past winter and we are able to have her sleep in a small pack n play on the V-berth. Another pro to the 280 is the engine room is bigger. I can get in there to work on the engine front and sides. I am sure that others will chime in, but like I said, I love my 280.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just get a 342 because in 2 years you will think the 280 is too small
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main issue with my 260 ec is the beam. That extra 6 or 7'' in width of the 280 would make a huge difference. 

Otherwise the 260 EC is a great all around boat. Has everything you need to live aboard.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    usafaviatorusafaviator Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Is the 280 still legal to trailer with the extra beam width?
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    In my neck of the woods you can trailer up to 8"6' without any permits. Over that you need  a permit  and "Oversize" signage, plus Governor Jerry Brown following you in a safety orange Prius with his hazard lights on. :smiley: 

Andy
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Sorry 8' 6"  or 2.59 meters for my Euro friends, LOL
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    No, it isn't legal to tow. The trailer will be 8'6" and the boat at the trailer is narrower than 8'6". Chances of a smokey bear being able to spot the extra 3.5" at the boats widest point are slim to none, but you always run the slight risk of someone trying to figure out how to measure her at her widest point. If it was a short trip to and from the ramp, I wouldn't worry about it. If I was on a long haul, I would get the permits. There is a company in Vegas called Mercury Permits that works with BoatUS that can get the permits fairly cheap. I used them when I towed my 280 from Baltimore to Pittsburgh. I didn't want to chance it in unknown territory.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go with the biggest boat you can afford! Simple enough! I bought a 270, an 05 model and I looked at all different brands and sizes. I wanted the biggest boat I could trailer, bought a little bigger truck to do it with as well. I worked on this for about a year as my budget was limited. I actually liked the layout better on the older model- not as "fancy" but more square foot of foot space. Also, for the length there was nothing out there as wide-and when I am at the docks now and see other boats about the same length that are a foot less in width- it makes a HUGE difference both on the upper deck, below and also getting into the engine compartment. I also store my boat on a trailer. The previous owner stored it on a lift so the drive is all clean. And there is another issue, when you look at competitors with similar width, you normally see two out drives. I did not want two motors to contend with as I could not afford the up keep.  Good luck in your search, I'm sure you will find what suits your needs but just keep your mind open before you focus on what you want...
  • Options

Thank you all for the input, I think we are pretty set on Rinker's 260 or 280. I do need to find out how high the radar arch is overall with the boat on the trailer to make sure I will have adequate clearance in my storage unit. Rasbury, Im just curious how difficult is it to launch and load your 270? Im still working with my wife so she feels comfortable with out 230.

• Options
    The arch on the 280 should be around 12'6" with antenna and light folded down. That isn't an exact measurement, but it is close.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Greg
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USA- I launch and load the 270 all by my lonesome- it's a piece of cake. It's just a bigger piece of fiber glass, don't let the size hold you back!