Installing a portable generator

ClintonClinton Member Posts: 44 ✭✭

Is there any way to install a portable generator on a fiesta vee 242 in the engine compartment, you know somewhere that it will always be out of the way?

Comments

• WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I would not install it there to be operated, maybe for storage if you have the room.

The generator will have exhaust fumes that needs to be vented easily to a large area, and even with an exhaust blower it still would not be a good idea in my opinion.

You could possibly store it securely in the engine compartment if you have the room, but put it on the swim platform or on the bow when in use.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOOOO -- do not operate a portable generator in the engine room of a gas-powered boat.  Portable generators are not ignition-protected.   I wouldn't even store it in the ER.  

Here's a good read:
    http://newboatbuilders.com/docs/portable.pdf
  • jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Besides the exhaust fumes, I would worry about fuel leaking and vapors building up. Remember portable generator fuel lines,connections, and tanks are not marine approved. I  have seen photos of portable generators inside an old cooler with no lid strapped to the swim platform. I have thought this setup for my 242.
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I had a portable generator on my old boat. Stored it in the engine compartment and when I wanted to use it, I would put it on the swim platform, start it up and plug into my shore power. It was a small 2 stroke 1000 watt and worked great for my wife's coffee in the morning or to charge the batteries for a bit.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • ClintonClinton Member Posts: 44 ✭✭

Good to know. Thanks for all the safety advice for sure. Might place in engine compartment for storage only. Like the idea of an old cooler on the swim platform. not a lot of room out there though. Planning on adding an expanded platform first so might all just work out fantastic in the end. Everyone was very helpful. Thanks!

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    An extended platform will give you a lot of playroom!!

2008 330EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An extended platform will give you a lot of playroom!!
    2008 330EC
  • ClintonClinton Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    NICE! Exactly what I was looking for. Hope to have one before the start of next summer.