Options

Davits

my rinker 242 is fitted with davits on the stern to hold a dinghy. How do I remove them? Is there a locking pin somewhere?

Comments

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Depends what style you have, a picture would be great.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
  • Options
    Anyone got any idea how I remove these? I've tried undoing the screws on the base plate but they just turn and turn and don't come out. Can't see it bolted on in the engine bay either. Any help would be appreciated!!
  • Options
    SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Boy its awfully hard to tell without being there to look at it. I would think that the post would pull straight out of the foot mount so they can be removed when not used.
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • Options
    I thought they would just pull straight out but they won't budge. They twist a small amount from side to side but it feels like they are somehow bolted in.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    edited August 2015
    It's hard to tell from the pic, but is the pole welded to the baseplate?  or does it just shove down in the hole?  I'm guessing it must be welded.  It sure seems like you'd have to get to the backside some how.  Is there an electrical panel inside the door and pull that out to reach to it?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those screws probably have lock nuts underneath. 
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Handy, most likely through bolted with locknuts and maybe a backing plate. I would think the poles would be removeable, maybe by turning the poles in or out. I have a 2000 242 and was thinking how to mount a dinghy without having pieces sticking out of the swim platform. That setup is what I will look for. If I find one I will post the removal directions.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Almost looks like something, dare I say, they'd use on a sailboat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    The poles don't appear to be welded to the base plate as they move about 8 inches or so from side to side but there is no movement up or down. It's almost as if there is a locking pin at the bottom of them to prevent anybody from just takes my them off. There is no visible sign of any lock nuts or bolts on the underside. I have had a good look at the rear of the engine bay to see if any bolts come through but I can't see anything. It's a mystery!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume you have carefully checked the full extent of their swivel to make sure there is no point that they may be oriented to release them. If there are no visible markings on them surely a previous owner would be able to tell you where they bought them or how they can be removed. I say this because I find it hard to believe  a company would manufacture a product that would have permanent arms with bases bolted to a hull. There must be an easy way to remove those arms.

• Options
    You could drill off the screw heads, remove poles and repair holes. 
  • Options
    You could be right Steve, but what a stupid way to manufacture a product without a quick release option for the arms!
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm trying to get in touch with the previous owner to find out how to get them off before taking the drastic action of drilling them out! Seems crazy that there doesn't appear to be a quick release way to get them off. 
  • Options
    Fingers crossed that the previous owner will shed some light on this. I bet there is some angle or push-down and twist motion that will allow them to release as non-removal seems ridiculous. I'd definitely find out from some previous owner before I drilled them out. Good luck. Please let us know what the answer is as I, for one, want to hear the resolution to this mystery!