Options

Hooking up smart craft to Lowrance HDS 7 touch.

MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a smart craft system tach and a lowrance hds 7 touch. The hds has smart craft integration but the i instructions says via a NMEA 2000 network.

Here's my question. If I have the smart craft gauge does that mean the network is installed already. I know if I want to add more smart craft gauges then I just plug into the back of the system gauge. So can't I just plug the hds into the smart craft gauge as well as it's already a digital signal?

If not what does it take to get a NMEA 2000 network in?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    edited July 2015
    You need a Mercury NMEA 2000 Gateway (around $350 on ebay).  It plugs into the SmartCraft network and broadcasts all of the data onto N2K.

It works great, except for one problem.  The gateway sends data packets for *every* sensor supported by SmartCraft, even if the sensor isn't actually installed.  That can cause problems depending on what equipment is on your network.  For example, my engines don't have rudder sensors, so the gateway sends empty data for the rudder sensor.  Unfortunately, those packets interfere with my auto-pilot's rudder sensor, which means I can't connect the gateway to my main network.  

SmartCraft supports a bunch of sensors including speed, temperature, tank levels and outdrive trim.  Some of them might affect how your other systems display data.
  • Options
    All i have right now is the smart craft tach system gauge and a 4 in 1 smart craft gauge. I get all available indications on the LCD of the system tach gauge. My hds comes with vessel view and smart craft software so I can have a complete overview of the engine.

So the gateway plugs into the back of the system tach gauge? Do I also need to install the NMEA network or does that gateway allow me to directly plug into the hds?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Then you should be fine.  The complaints I've seen are about the gateway interfering with autopilots and temp/speed displays.  

The gateway plugs into the SmartCraft multi-port junction box, not the gauge.  If you don't have a spare SmartCraft port, you'd need to add another junction box.  

The NMEA network would be pretty simple - just the gateway and hds.  Lemme get back to you later with some details.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Some of the newer smartcraft devices like MercMonitor have a NMEA2000 interface built in.  I have the old VesselView which has NMEA0183 instead of NMEA2000.  I believe the newer VesselView has NMEA2000 as well.

Having the engine info on the GPS is nice, but I opted for the separate display so I didn't have to flip back and forth.  My new dash has the 2 (GPS and VV) side by side where the spedo and tachs used to be.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    On the MercMonitor, the N2K interface is only for GPS input.  It won't send engine data out to the N2K network.  

MarkB, I think your N2K network might be as simple as this:

male terminator
    tee for the gateway 
    tee with a spur cable to the Lowrance
    female terminator

The gateway kit includes a tee fitting.  You'd need to buy a tee, two terminators and a cable long enough to reach the Lowrance.  (The second tee would plug directly into the first one.)   
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Figures LaRea.  They don't make it easy.

You might need a NMEA2000 backbone if you don't have one already.  That's the cable arrangement that gets 12v fed to it.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    LaRae, if I can ask a favor, only if it provides some level of enjoyment (lol, don't want to make you work!), can you provide a hand sketch of the wiring and components between the Smart Craft System Tach and the HDS 7 Touch.  Would be greatly appreciated.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I'm trying to post a sketch, but it keeps giving me an error message ... will try to PM you.
  • Options
    Got the message. Thanks. So I will check if i have a spare port on the smart craft first. If so $425 doesn't sound too bad.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    So I would like to know about upgrading my instruments.  I like the idea of a touchpanel display. it appears all in this discussion have merc propulsion.  Can this be done on my Volvo Penta motors?
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    Red - if VP makes an NMEA 2000 gateway, you can connect it to any multi-function display.  I'm not sure what dedicated engine display systems are offered by VP.
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    thanks
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    I was going to take pix, but forgot, so here's a sketch ... I think this should work:

The parts along the bottom (two terminators and two tees) are the N2K backbone.  You need terminators on both ends, so one male and one female.  You can buy from any manufacturer as long as it's NMEA 2000.  

This kit appears to have everything you need:
    http://www.thegpsstore.com/Navico-NMEA-2000-Starter-Kit-P2684.aspx

It also includes a power cable in case you add a component in the future that needs to get 12V power from the N2K network.
  • Options
    This should work:

Here's a kit that has everything you need:
    http://www.thegpsstore.com/Navico-NMEA-2000-Starter-Kit-P2684.aspx

It also has a power cable, which might be useful in the future if you add another N2K component that needs to get 12V power from the network.

• Options
    This should work:

Here's a kit that has everything you need:
    www.thegpsstore.com/Navico-NMEA-2000-Starter-Kit-P2684.aspx

It also has a power cable, which might be useful in the future if you add another N2K component that needs to get 12V power from the network.
  • Options
    This should work:

There's a starter kit that has everything you need on thegpsstore.com.  Search for:
    Navico-NMEA-2000-Starter-Kit-P2684

The kit also has a power cable, which might be useful in the future if you add another N2K component that needs to get 12V power from the network.
  • Options
    This should work:

There's a starter kit that has everything you need on thegpsstore.com.  Search for:

The kit also has a power cable, which might be useful in the future if you add another N2K component that needs to get 12V power from the network.
  • Options
    This should work:

There's a starter kit that has everything you need on thegpsstore.com.  Search for: