Options

Starboard motor burning more fuel than the Port motor

I own a 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee with twin 5.0 litre engines with approx. 115 hours on them. I have notice that my Starboard motor is burning more fuel that the Port motor. I fuel it up yesterday and the Starboard motor took 53 gallons of gas while the Port side only took 33 gallons. 20 gallon difference seems to be a little much for me. I have installed new wires and plugs on both motors,  I have also replaced the coil on the Starboard motor. Has anyone ever had this issue?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What tank does the generator use?
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    My guess would be that you have the fuel selector in the balance mode (not port or starboard) and your boat is listing to one side...but, this is only a guess of course.  20 gallon difference is huge.  Is this the first time you have filled up?
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    patriotspatriots Member Posts: 7
    Thank You for your comments. I am sorry for the late response but I am not good with computers and could not get back into the forum.. What I found was a disconnected wire to my map sensor. It took a lot of tracing wires to locate that one. One question, you stated a fuel selector in the balance mode, where would this be?? I have not seen anything like that??   
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,464 admin
    edited January 2016
    On my 342 there are 3 valves in the engine compartment. The one in the middle should be in the off position and the other two should be in the open position. Then in this mode the port engine draws off the port tank and the S/B engine draws off the S/B tank. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

@patriots - these valves usually have yellow covers on them and look like regular ball valves used in plumbing applications.

Click on the picture below. The valve in the picture is the "balancing" valve that regulates flow between my two gas tanks.

There are also individual valves to shut off flow from either tank.

The guys have given you great reasons why there is an imbalance between your two tank levels at fueling-up.

IMO if both of your engine RPMs were similar at a fixed MPH.... say 3200 RPM at say 28 MPH then your engines are performing too similarly to account for a 20 gallon difference, hence the issue is not an engine but the other possibilities the guys were suggesting......Unless the 20 gallon difference happened over an entire season and was therefore a very slow change - but I doubt that, right?

BTW - valve handle pointing straight down = off position .....valve handle in line with the fuel hose = open....if they have been installed correctly LOL

Good luck! MT