Options

The next kohler 5e saga

craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
I was on the hook for the 4th and the genny decided to act up. It ran fine for breakfast and we went to fire it up for lunch and no go. It barely turned over and then wouldn't turn over at all. I only get a click about evry 1/2 second but the starter is not engaging. Initially I thought I ingested water. So I checked the oil and it looked clean and was at the normal level. I then pulled the plugs and looked for water and nothing; followed by trying turn the motor over to blow out any possible water but again I only got clicks and no engagement. Plugs were dry and I couldn't see any signs of water. So I think I'm safe on the water side. I then went to electrical and pulled out my manual. I popped the cover off of the control box. The led 2 and 3 lit up when the start button was pressed as they should. I then verified there was 12+ volts to the k20 relay, and I showed power to the top terminal (there are 4).  I also showed power down to the starter solenoid. However I'm not sure if there is power after or how to test that?  Also I cannot seem to find the starter which I was considering jumping the solenoid to see if the starter engaged. Could anyone direct me where that thing is?  So my initial guess is it's the solenoid. Any other thoughts out there on what my next course of action should be?  Those starters are around 400 so I'm hoping it's not that. 

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I would start at the battery connection.  You may have a bad ground.  Remove both battery terminals, clean them and the wire connections and reinstall.  I've seen this several times on different boats.  Hopefully that is all it is!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a separate battery switch between the genny ad the starting batteries.  If you have the same you might want to give it a turn or 2 to rule out corrosion in the switch.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    How does Kohler stay in the marine business??? I have been firing up my Genny at the dock once a week and running it under a heavy load. Took the boat out for the 4th while on the hook, fired up Genny started to run and died. It gave me the finger and said "I am not running". Man I wish I had a Westerbeke (spelling..lol).......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Kohler Diesel. Never a problem  hahahahahahhahahaha
  • Options
    Voltage is pretty consistent from the battery all the way to the solenoid. So I don't think it's the switch. The ground on the genny is pretty rusted so I'll clean that up a bit. I just picked up a new solenoid so I'll know in an hour if that was the problem. 
  • Options
    I've seen consistent voltage as well all the way to the genny, but when you put it under load, it's that terminal on the battery that needed cleaning that causes the problem.  I'm just saying that I have seen it a couple times, where all looks fine, but removing at the battery, cleaning battery and mating connector, put it back and all is good.  Worth a shot.

• Options
    Well it wasn't the solenoid....
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your gen powered from its own battery or your engine/house batteries?  You can call the guys at www.partsfortechs.com too for some help.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    It's powered from its own battery. I just realized that today. I swapped the battery for one that is registering 13.4 volts versus the 12.5 battery that was on there and no change. I cleaned the terminals as well. Still nothing. I think I'll try the guys at partsfortechs. 
  • Options
    So the universal ground on the genny is pretty rusted. I have cleaned it up as best I can but it's still in rough shape. When I hit the start button the volts drop from 12.5 to 7.3ish. That from both the big positive lug on the solenoid to ground, and the smaller positive lug to ground which I believe feeds the starter. The solenoid has 4 lugs/screws (2 big and 2 little). The two big are occupied with power and the starter ground cables. Only the one little positive has cables too it which I think go to the starter. 
    Is this voltage drop normal when the starter is pressed?
  • Options
    Well turns out it's not normal for the voltage drop when the start button is pressed. So this led me to either a bad ground or a loose wire coming off the panel. I cleaned up the rusty ground as best I could with no change. I then began to mess with some of the wires in the control box. My thought was there might be a bad connection with one of the power leads that runs from the starter relay into the control box. Sure enough there was. Not sure what wire it was but it started working after pushing some of the wires into their connectors. I'll try to track down what wire it was tomorrow and repin it into the connector. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Good find hope all is fixed now
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Well, hopefully you can trace the wire that was the cause.  Try to take a picture here to post to help the next person out.   Good find!