Options

Battery charger

planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
how can I tell if my battery charger is actually charging the batteries when connected to shore power? I do not seem to get above 11 volts showing on the gauge when plugged in to shore power and charger switched on but yet when engine is running it gets to about 12 - 13 volts. Does this sound right? I have a 2000 model 242

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    You can use a volt meter to check the voltage at the battery with the battery charger off and on.  You should see higher voltage on the battery when it's charging.  You may also want to disconnect the batteries and test their voltage individually.  If you have a bad battery and it's connected to another battery the bad one can bring down the good one.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    WaveHogWaveHog Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    My charger in the engine compartment has a meter on it showing the charge and even a green light indicating "charging mode".  You might poke around down below to see if yours has the meter.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your charger should have an LCD screen and show amps going to each battery. It will cycle through battery 1, 2 and 3.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't expect your voltmeter at the helm to read the voltage coming out of your charger, but if your charger doesn't have the LCD or gauge built-in I'd get a small hand held multi-meter/continuity/beeper to keep on the boat and check it right at the battery, as Stodge suggested.  Your gauge reading with the boat running sounded about right at around 13, maybe even 14.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    Your charger should have an LCD screen and show amps going to each battery. It will cycle through battery 1, 2 and 3.
    The fancy ones will.  I had an after-market charger in my last boat with LED bars.  The one I have now has an analog gauge.  

Agreed about not relying on the volt meter in the dash.  Need to use a volt meter at the battery.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Think a trip to the electrical shop is on the cards for tomorrow then to get myself a multi meter. Many thanks for all your advice. This forum makes boat owning so much easier!!!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh a multi meter is an absolute must have on a boat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"