Options

Water in Bilge

PostDocPostDoc Member Posts: 9
Hello! I am the proud owner of a 1998 280 Fiesta Vee. I have had the boat for 4 years. Since purchase there seems to always be water in the bilge area. The bilge will go off constantly if someone is standing on the swim platform. I manually empty the bilge, but it seems to be getting worse.  Last weekend the bilge alarm started to go off while under way. It only went off when I was above 3000 rmp's. Any suggestions? The boat is in a slip, so water bound work is the only possibility. Do I assume I have a leak? How can this be traced? Thank you! I love the boat!  

Comments

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Dry the bilge completely, spread baby powder around and watch for streaks where water makes a path.  It's messy but works.  Only a few spots that water comes in.  Start in the easy spots first.  Bildge pump is the hose bent upwards as it should be otherwise water works it's way in if the outlet catches water. Engine riser exhaust bellows tight. Water intake hose on transom plate tight. Water pump hoses tight, water pump leaking. More difficult areas, manifolds leaking, shafts bellow leaking, gear shifter cable leaking. Worse case transom plate leaking... not tight enough or cracked. Rare but plausable.
  • Options
    PostDocPostDoc Member Posts: 9
    Ok life is good, great tip with the baby powder. I will try all this tomorrow when I go up and report my detective findings. Thanks for the support, this site is great!